pronto 890 battery problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by ianlecompte, Oct 18, 2004.

1. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi guys,put on charger base, light comes on so i believe its charging,but light seems to go out after a few hours,and when i check battery in set up it hasent changed.any ideas,the battery is prob about 3 years old,has it had its day?or is there something i can do
    cheers for looking,also how do i change a photo to bmp to use in the pronto i can select bitmap when i save the image but get told that the image is to big when i try to put it in pronto edit.how do i make it the right size?.
    ian

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,659
    Sounds like classic symptoms of dead NiCad batteries to me. I use AA NiHm rechargables in mine which I take out and charge overnight when they go flat. (Like this http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5_503&products_id=90479 for about £12 delivered)
    I would imagine the offical battery pack is replaceable? http://www.letsautomate.com/10921.cfm? about £35 here - I would buy a cheap plug top charger and AA's and just use the dock unplugged as somewhere to put the Pronto if you like.

3. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thanks andy,i do have plenty of recharge batts but i do not have the batt adaptor for the unit.looks like a cradle for 4 aa,s to sit in
    cheers
    ian

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,659
    Got my Pronto without the dock (as I thought it was overpriced) - I didn't realise the internals were different :(
    Cheeky

5. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It sounds like the other Pronto 'classic' to me - I've had this several times myself. The pronto & recharge pack is rather sensitive to being dropped/jarred.

If you take the pack out, and put it in again but make sure you press against the springs really hard, then slot the pack in and realease the pressure (so that the pack moves forward against the springs). You'll find the battery warning light will go out and it's recharged ok. Sometimes you have to try re-charging again.

It can take a few goes to get it right. You really do have to press hard against the springs (your fingers will hurt :eek: )

6. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    cheers boys,had a look at the battery last nite,moved it slightly and bingo seems to be fine.amc,if you take out the cradle you just place the recharge battery in its place,i dont think the internals are different.
    cheers ian

7. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ive got a similar problem as my Pronto isnt charging but in my case it sems to be the docking station - Normally the little green light shines brightly but the other night when I tried to charge the remote the light was only just on, got downstairs this morning to check it and the remote hasnt charged ?

Any ideas on what to do with the docking station ?? to my knowledge its not been damaged at all.