Pronouncing Italian names

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

Italian is one language which gives me a few issues with pronunciation (apart from the obvious spaghetti bolognaise!).

I am off to Maranello later this week, and to avoid making an idiot of myself, how would I pronounce this (male) Italian name:?

Simone Veggetti

:thumbsup:

ahh names, some are a nightmare especially if your badly dyslexic like me

and i dont mean this in a racist way but some african names are just impossible for me, there use of consonants and vowels is beyond my brains capacity ...

Italian is one language which gives me a few issues with pronunciation (apart from the obvious spaghetti bolognaise!).

I am off to Maranello later this week, and to avoid making an idiot of myself, how would I pronounce this (male) Italian name:?

Simone Veggetti

:thumbsup:

looks like bugatti to me :confused:

And the "Simone"?

Is it like Simon-ay (like the English Simon)

Or more like Sim -own (Sim as in simulation, and similar to the the female name Simone)

Or Sim - own - ay ?

Sim-own is the correct pronunciation for his first name. His surname is easily pronounced as you read it or Vergetty, which is correct.

Hope this helps

Cee-Mo-Nay Ved-Jetty

That would my two penn'orth.

And Boll-o-nyay-say.

But such a lot is down to dialect anyway, just have a go :)

I used to live in Italy for 2 years and did speak a little at the time.

Most Italian words are spoken as they are spelt. :)

Cee-Mo-Nay Ved-Jetty
I'd go along with this. Perhaps Ved-Jet-Tea to emphasise the double "t". I was told to pronounce both letters in a double consonant for clarity. For example, anno = year but ano = anus.

Looks like "Cee-Mo-Nay" and "Ved-Jetty" is a winner! Cheers peeps. At least I can give it a real stab when I meet him and his team.

Say it how it looks, And if you have a mouth full of bread it will work out fine

Hi,

Either of the following would be acceptable:

1) Si-moan-ay Vuh-zhet-teeee

or

2) Oi, mate...

Pooch

Ah, come on you're confusing me now!

Veggetti: is the "gg" a "j" sound as in "jetty" or is it a "j" sound as in the French "Jeux"?

Ah, come on you're confusing me now!

Veggetti: is the "gg" a "j" sound as in "jetty" or is it a "j" sound as in the French "Jeux"?

No its a long g. A soft one. :)

Italian, like German is very regular. Put on an Italian accent and that's how they'd pronounce it. ;)

So more like the soft "j" in the French "jeux" then?

I dont know jeux.

Its a soft g and a long one as its double gg. Italian is a doddle to read back as it is really is spoken as its spelt. Very simple. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom