Promising Young Woman (Sky Cinema/NOW) Movie Review & Comments

tcp/ip

Really looking forward to watching this heard great things about it.
Have it on Sky but picked up a 4K HDR version that I am going to use to watch it.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
As far as I can see it’s not available on Sky or Now until 16 April. I will definitely watch it then.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Saw the trailer for this about a year ago and forgot all about it looks pretty decent looking forward to watching it

Rolph77

Really looking forward to this, hoping I can sign up to a free 7 day trial with Now TV and cancel it straight after..

encaser

Distinguished Member
A deeply contrived and annoying stereotype laden film; which puts it out there that females placing themselves at risk is fun, danger free if you're devious enough (this isn't) or, worth giving up all for if need be - in the name of judgementally punishing males who are all, B.T.Dubs. Dumb.
Mulligan has got the keyboard warrior crew on her side ever since a reviewer said she looked, at times, like a drag artist in bad makeup, which she found personal insult in and cried about it as if they were calling her not pretty enough. Boo. Hoo.
I actually thought she looked searingly hot at times but that didn't deflect enough from some seriously bad writing.

Last edited:

Mr-Mixalot

Excellent, really enjoyed it and the ending albeit bitter is justified IMO

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
This is available on Sky and NOW as of today so get watching!
It's absolutely brillz.
An imperfect but excitingly venomous movie - one of my faves of the year so far.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Not sure I was quite ready for that on a Friday morning, but having just seen it, there's a lot to digest. Quite the emotional rollercoaster, but I'm not not sure it'll rank as a favourite of 2021. I'm pegging this as a 7.5/10 for now. I hadn't realized Clancy Brown was in it,so that gets bonus points. I'm certainly glad I've seen it (not having been spoiled in advance), but I'm not sure a rewatch will be in order anytime soon...

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Looking forward to watching and then no doubt coming on here for more #notallmen arguments!
The entire movie is pretty openly trolling for #notallmen reactions so if we don't get any, I'll be pretty disappointed. It's one of the things I like about it and also, from a certain perspective, possibly one of its key weaknesses.

crabby09

Just finished... I'd give it a six. There were so many other ways it could have ended which whilst probably not as cinemagraphic would have made much more sense.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Not sure where all the adoration for comes from in terms of Mulligan's performance, and as good as she was, I felt Shame was a far better showcase for her considerable talents. Having processed the movie a little more, the biggest aspect that didn't sit well with me was that every single
male character, with the exception of Mulligan's Dad, was either a sexual predator, or thoroughly bad egg.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
every single
male character, with the exception of Mulligan's Dad, was either a sexual predator, or thoroughly bad egg.
They sure were... But then again,
every single female character, bar the parents, was a horrendous enabler.

Cassie herself is hardly a picture of balanced morality.
It's not just men who get raked over the coals here.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
They sure were... But then again,
every single female character, bar the parents, was a horrendous enabler.

Cassie herself is hardly a picture of balanced morality.
It's not just men who get raked over the coals here.
Fair point, but I think with Carey from the very beginning, I
empathised with the obviously broken nature of her character. Whilst the brief spell of happiness she found in the middle was never going to last, it seemed a shame that the doctor boyfriend was ultimately part of the sleaze too...

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Interesting, I shall certainly take a look at this. I remember hearing about it a long time back and thought it had been and gone to be honest.

Does sound though like the male rage will be strong with this one!

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I had to turn my subwoofer off. The sound was rubbish on sky I had to turn my AVR up full blast which then meant my sub was about to blow up.

FavouredAntelope

Just watched. A lot to digest is right... My feeling is it was very good, almost great, but the weaker parts come at the end and so take a little of the shine off.

There were elements that I thought were really clever and unexpectedly moving. I expected something more like a thought-provoking polemic than a story to invest in, and I actually thought it managed to weave those two things together perfectly for about three-quarters of the film.

In particular, I didn't expect to find myself so invested in Cassie's grief for Nina. Her motivation isn't generic, it is palpable grief that has understandably turned into insatiable anger. Cassie is burdened by pain that the entire world wants to pretend never happened. Of course she is angry. Its impressive how Nina seems real to us, even though we only know her through absence.

The other thing that really took me offguard was that to make its point the film essentially constructs a pitch-perfect romcom. The classic meet-cute, our awkward but likeable male hero, the playful bonding montage (Stars are Blind was an inspired soundtrack choice) are all better executed than in the vast majority of romcoms. Of course:

The film takes the rug out from under us, as we know it is bound to. But I think the reason it is so effective is it lands the romcom tropes so well. We (or at least I) really do like Ryan, we really do want it all to work out and for Cassie to be 'saved' by a #notallmen hero. I found myself smiling and laughing at their relationship even as I knew it couldn't possibly last.

The film starts to lose its grip on the characters a bit as it moves towards its ending. I was a bit confused by Alison Brie's character giving Cassie the video. That seemed like quite a weird thing to do.

For it to make the point it wants to though, the film has to sacrifice Ryan. It reminded me very much of a particular scene from (2017 film spoiler) Get Out. The audience willing this one character to be the exception we thought they were. The film seems to overegg it a little when Ryan bitterly calls Cassie a "failure" and desperately tries to save himself. He stops being an everyman who has to reckon with his past complicity and turns into a duplicitous villain.

The ending itself also felt a little off to me: too pointed, too neatly tied up, a bit too art-house. Maybe I'll feel differently on reflection and it might just be I was hoping Cassie survived.

While I think the storytelling falls down a little near the end, I do think the film nails its central thesis about rape culture and the way that both men and women move to make excuses for it. Not sure the #notallmen crowd will agree however.

TheViper101

Thought it was a great film and liked how it's not afraid to provoke Me and the wife were really annoyed when Ryan was in on the act after being tricked into the whole rom com vibe but I guess it calls out to the male audience and especially the young watchers that it's not ok to be a bystander and part of a pack when these sort of crimes against women occur. Alison Brie's character and the Principle are equally at fault and called out so I don't see how men can take issue.

I interpreted that Cassie may have orchestrated her death at the end especially with all the setups in place if she disappeared. Was one of the cuffs loose on purpose? Was she giving the guy a chance to prove he'd changed as she seemed to give the guys who took her home a few opportunities to stop the assaults?

The only negative is minor and that was Ryan calling her a failure. I thought that was off character.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021