Prometheus Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
7/10 for the film itself....really? It was garbage, and I don't think I've ever watched a movie with as many plot holes. Best I can give it is 5/10.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to ever watch Covenant because of it.

Nice review as always @Casimir Harlow , says a lot that to finaly appreciate Prometheus a tad more one has to watch Covenant :D. Still remember that Prometheus movie thread to this day :eek: . Would much rather RS to take a producer roll in these films going forward and let someone else take on directing duties . Will purchase when it becomes cheaper as the BD release had fantastic PQ and the film itself has much higher production values over Covernent.

Having watched Alien Convenant on 4k first whith it's pristine digital image, I was surprised to see so much grain on Prometheus.
Seemed more than I would have expected on my calibrated Z9d, anyone else notice this.

I first saw this at the cinema in 3D and watched the UHD Friday night....have to be honest, I love it!

Sure it's not perfect but the 3D disc was my go to demo disc, Always impressing friends!

The UHD is a definite improvement, And looks quite filmic which I personally like with this type of film. Obviously this one is very marmite but I am glad it got a UHD release :)

Edit: Forgot my manners, Many thanks for the review Cas. I beat you to it for a change :smashin:

I really enjoyed Prometheus and actually watched it at least two times :clap:
I recently watched Covenant and I must say, I need to watch again the old movies to wash away the disappointment.

Love this movie despite it’s shortcomings. Is the digital code with this an ultraviolet one or does it give you the choice of itunes (like Logan?)

I just watched Prometheus again. I thought it was a fine film. The visuals are sharp and vivid and the 'mythology' is coherent enough. Only a couple of scenes where the 2k DI shows. About to try out Covenant in the next few days. and hoping the negativity here is also too overblown...

Loved prometheus! Covenant on the other hand might well be the worst mainline entry ive seen.

There seems to be an error in this review. The score for the movie reads '7', when it should be '0'.

Jokes aside, this is by some margin the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. It's truly terrible. An unredeemable train wreck which managed to trash what little remained of the Alien series. That said, I haven't seen Covenant, so perhaps Ridley has managed something even worse. Fortunately I'll never know.

I just hope Blade Runner 2049 doesn't end up the same way.

There seems to be an error in this review. The score for the movie reads '7', when it should be '0'.

Jokes aside, this is by some margin the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. It's truly terrible. An unredeemable train wreck which managed to trash what little remained of the Alien series. That said, I haven't seen Covenant, so perhaps Ridley has managed something even worse. Fortunately I'll never know.

I just hope Blade Runner 2049 doesn't end up the same way.

Weirdly rewatching this film is not as bad an experience as the first time, somehow ones expectations as lessened. To be fair though did anyone really want the “mystery” of the Space Jockey from the original explained? I didn’t!

Totally agree with Mr. Harlow,Covenant made this mess a bit better.

I think that RS has still got it,but he has been working with lousy scripts.IMO,his only really solid movie in the last decade was The Councelor,although it is quite a polarising one and some may describe it as a pretentious snafu.

Last edited:
So this UHD disc version had exactly the same 7.1 track as the previous Bluray/3D releases then?

I saw this in shop when I got the Covenant UHD disc and was thinking of getting it, but there doesn't seem to be much better about it than previous Bluray I already own - even resolution is the same.

This film had such potential, then people just started running about like headless chickens... There are some moral dilemmas in the film but blink and you miss them. Fassbender brought so much to this film. There are some beautiful scenery and scenes. However, when that's what you remember about the film is that really saying much unless it is a wildlife documentary :)

However I never really worried about the whole Space Jockey thing so for me it was an answer to a question that I did not think needed answering. Can't comment on Covenant as I have not seen it and no real desire to see it and that is from a completist though not nearly as obsesed as Mr Withers....

Totally agree with Mr. Harlow,Covenant made this mess a bit better.

I think that RS has still got it,but he has been working with lousy scripts.IMO,his only really solid movie in the last decade was The Councelor,although it is quite a polarising one and some may describe it as a pretentious snafu.

Well it was RS that chose this script as it was the direction he wanted to take the Alien universe to . The original ideas from Spaights were much more grounded in the original nature of the universe . The making of disc on the BD release is very expansive on this and a bloody good watch in itself. With all it's countless flaws though I still quite like the film as it changed a new path for the franchise that Covernent totally disregarded. So many questions left totally abandoned.

So this UHD disc version had exactly the same 7.1 track as the previous Bluray/3D releases then?

I saw this in shop when I got the Covenant UHD disc and was thinking of getting it, but there doesn't seem to be much better about it than previous Bluray I already own - even resolution is the same.
People are still way too hung up on resolution. This amazes me as the same people will say 1080p streamed is not as good as bluray.......(which it isnt)

The HDR is what it's all about though, And the 4K disc is an improvement on an already reference disc. It is definitely worth the upgrade IMO.

I really liked Prometheus. Largely because I still have the 'Book of Alien' which I was given as a kid sometime after the original Alien came out. Looking at it now 40? years on, some of the themes and even plot devices are shown in that book from the concept stages of the movie's production.

Ideas for costumes and sets and even a scene where they return a head to the ship for analysis, are recognisable in those original sketches. Realising that Scott was returning to ideas stored away for decades after budget restraints forced them to be rejected in favour of a simpler 'haunted house' plot made me appreciate what he was trying to achieve. I also think the death of his brother may have played a role in how some of the themes were shoehorned into the plot less successfully. Still liked it though.

It always amazes me that these studios expect people to pony up a good chunk of change for an upscaled UHD disc when they don't even provide a upgraded audio experience.
No Atmos (or DTS:X), no thanks.

I really liked Prometheus. Largely because I still have the 'Book of Alien' which I was given as a kid sometime after the original Alien came out. Looking at it now 40? years on, some of the themes and even plot devices are shown in that book from the concept stages of the movie's production.

Ideas for costumes and sets and even a scene where they return a head to the ship for analysis, are recognisable in those original sketches. Realising that Scott was returning to ideas stored away for decades after budget restraints forced them to be rejected in favour of a simpler 'haunted house' plot made me appreciate what he was trying to achieve. I also think the death of his brother may have played a role in how some of the themes were shoehorned into the plot less successfully. Still liked it though.
I loved prometheus, quite shocking they threw all that away in the latest alien movie that was absolute crap. I couldn’t wait to see
shaw turn up on the engineers planet only to see it destroyed in mere seconds.
Such a shame.

I too like the film overlooking some silly parts but the follow up was an extreme disappointment and was a blind buy, next time Ill watch the follow up to that on TV before going for the 4K disc. At present its killed the franchise for me.

Some explanations to the plot that seem to be in the script but omitted from the film.

I’m a fan. It raised so many questions that I was fascinated with & thought about many months later.

No Atmos in the UHD? I’ll stick with the BD for now.…

I’m a fan. It raised so many questions that I was fascinated with & thought about many months later.

No Atmos in the UHD? I’ll stick with the BD for now.…
4k disc is a definite upgrade though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom