1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prologic II - what's the point?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by konghh, Feb 18, 2002.

1. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Yamaha RX-V596 and even with normal satelite movie with 2 channel, I can switch on the DSP effect and get surround sound of some sorts. Would the Prologic II be much better or maybe I could forget about upgrading?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    PL2 is far superior to the DSP modes on the Yamaha. Go and have a demo to see what you think.

Personally, on my old Yamaha, I used to use normal Pro-Logic rather than the DSP modes as they added too much echo.

PL2 gives you 5.1 sound from 2ch stereo sources & has both music & movie modes.

3. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to agree with jase, I think DPL II is the mutt's nuts

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am not sure that I should be answering as I have recently upgraded to PL 2 but it doesn't seem to be working properly on my amp.

Whilst it is undoubtedly better than the original PL (even if only intermittently on mine) it is an expensive upgrade if you are happy with all other aspects of your amp.

I think that my old Yamaha was a 590 pro logic model which I used with an internal decoder on the dvd player.

I now have a Marantz and the steering of effects is light years ahead of my old combo.

5. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JASE: "PL2 gives you 5.1 sound from 2ch stereo sources & has both music & movie modes."

I don't think PL2 gives you a subwoofer channel. You may get things comming from your subwoofer but this is just the low frequency components of speakers you have set to 'Small' which are thus directed there by your amp, it is not a feature of PL2.

Additionally I'm dubious about the benefits of PL2 on standard Stereo (none PL or PL2 encoded) soundtracks. In these cases PL2 does just act as a DSP mode.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Sorry, should have said that it SIMULATES 5.1 sound from stereo sources. Bad wording on my part:eek: Its Monday morning, never a good day!!

As you said, if all the speakers are set to small then all bass will be sent to the sub for those respective channels.

7. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    konghh,

I agree with others. Go audition and let your ears decide. But in the mean time, search this forum for the thread entitled "DPLII vs DTS Neo:6: Which is better". This thread addresses your query and Norman's response includes a link to an excellent article on PLII.

Epithet.

8. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add my thoughts. I had an old prologic processor for ages and DPL was OK.

The main difference with DPL2 is better steering of surround info and most importantly to my mind full spectrum, ie up to 20Khz from the rears. For newer material transmitted in Prologic its great. Enterprise on Sky One springs to mind.

I have tried Yamaha and Denon DSP modes and its great for a laugh when you are pi**ed but otherwise, er no.

Now I still need to get my SPL meter to check levels but I am sure when its done DPL2 will be in number 3 postion after DTS (1) and DD(2) for surround modes.

However it is not enough reason on its own to buy a new amp unless you are loaded.

Rog

9. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Defineately agree PL11 is excellent - I believe those who knock it can't have it set up properly.

As an example I watched Corrie (sad!) last night and it was like sitting in the rovers with all the detailed noise going on around me. Adverts in PL11 are extremely impressive and finally the Marvellous Devil May Cry on PS2 is simply amazing (very haunting sounds)

Certainly bridges the gap between DD/DTS & PL

Don't knock it till you've tried it (properly?)!

Mike.

10. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I read an article once on the man that designed it and it was inspired reading. The first Dolby Pro Logic II decoder was a valve instrument that he had put together, and he tested it in his cellar, playing all different sources.
    A lot of effort went into it and although I haven't heard it yet, I'm looking forward to it.
    Mark