1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prologic II and squelching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by roadtorode, Aug 14, 2002.

1. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run my Marantz SR4200 mainly in PLII (movie) mode for listening to sky and terrestrial broadcast and vcr, but often the sound from the front pair is a squelchy version of the real thing, whereas other times, the PLII behaves itself impeccably. Is this because the input signal is not of a form suitable for PLII'ing, or should all incoming signals process OK in PLII ? Do I have a fault, or speaker level problem ?

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to get a REALLY strange sound emminating from the rears of my system when watching BBC1's World Cup coverage in PLII.

The games themselves were fine, it was the before/mid/after match comments from Lineaker and Co. that sounded bizarre.

I think it must be something to do with certain signals being misinterpreted by the PLII system and ending up sounding plain weird. Luckily the weird sounds on my system (which I've only noticed in that one instance) were almost inaudible.

3. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say, I do need to stick my head near to speaker to notice it, as it is part of a quiet signal, so perhaps I should just ignore it...

4. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this same problem on some channels when I select the audio-out from my Nicam VCR. I think it's because the signal they transmit is too 'strong' (loud) for my VCR, hence the squelching...

- Tom -

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DPLII only processes stereo, when you get mono source, you get only center, with weak stereo, low separation, you get nothing, than something, well, strange sound from the surrounds...

It happens with TV, tunner, etc...

Nothing wrong with your setups...

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happens on DPLI too, I noticed it on digibox broadcasts. It seems happen when a pure stereo signal (as opposed to a prologic 1 one) is transmitted, there's no specific surround info, so a sort of echoey (sp) copy of the stereo is sent to the rear. This was discussed in a previous thread, I think the overall conclusion was as lowrider said, there' s nothing wrong with setups, and if the rear speakers are next to your ear, you or them are in the wrong position ;)