Projectors with cheap lamps?

wassap

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,Im after a little help here again!

Im still looking at my prospective projector purchase, just wondering which of the big boys have cheapish lamps, im looking at stuff like panny ae5/7/900, sanyo Z2/3/4,hitatchi pjtx100/200 and the sony hs20, basically the current LCD pj`s that are HD ready, im planning on using this as my main display so usage will be high, i was considering a lcd or plasma type display but to get decent units you are looking at 2k plus.

Any ideas chaps?

The cheapest lamp I know of out of those would be the Hitachi TX100 at around £180 inc VAT.

The HS20 is probably the most expensive at £325ish.

Also if your looking to use the PJ as a main display I would personally discount LCD's in general as in most cases when you start to reach 2000-4000 hours the panels degrade losing you colour balance and contrast. Some even start to yellow making whites look off.

DLP don't have this problem but you pay far more for them. They also have their own problems such as rainbow effect, dithering, clay face and other artifacts. The latest models virtually illiminate all these problems though. The only exception would be rainbows and is entirely down to personal susceptability.

I was under the impression the DLP's with faster wheels were less rainbowy!? but they are out of my price range, i dont really want to spend much over 800.

The pjtx100 sounds good tho, i might have to keep an eye out in the classiefieds!

Cheers bud

Audiofilenoob said:
Also if your looking to use the PJ as a main display I would personally discount LCD's in general as in most cases when you start to reach 2000-4000 hours the panels degrade losing you colour balance and contrast. Some even start to yellow making whites look off.

Although I agree with your statement, why do they make projectors with stated lamp lifes of 5000hrs if the machine is gonna be knackered before the 1st bulb dies, surely the machinie should be able to outlast the bulb.

fallwood said:
Although I agree with your statement, why do they make projectors with stated lamp lifes of 5000hrs if the machine is gonna be knackered before the 1st bulb dies, surely the machinie should be able to outlast the bulb.

It all depends on the exposure to heat I suppose. There's folks noting discolourations around the web. Usual case is long run times.

The AE100's were particularly problematic it seems. I can't see how it would affect a casual user since it would take years to put 3 maybe 4000 hours on a PJ. By that time most folks would have upgraded. I only mentioned it because when you use it as a primary display then the hours really rack up quickly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom