1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projectors, power cuts and lamp life.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nick_UK, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Those who own DLP projectors will already be aware that switching off the power to the projector before the lamp has sufficiently cooled can shorten the life of the lamp. But what do you do in a power cut situation ? Power cuts are rare, but is it worth the risk ?

I was reading in a forum in the US a debate on the merits of using a UPS on the projector, and many users said that they connected their projector to the UPS to allow the lamp to be properly cooled when a power failure occurred. Up until now, UPS's capable of handling the 200-350 Watts required by a projector were quite expensive, but I notice that Ebuyer are now doing a 1200VA UPS for £39.99 + VAT which = £47 ! This will also protect against surges, brownouts, and lightning. Not a bad price to protect a lamp costing over £200 !

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Too true. I suppose it depends on how often you get powercuts etc...

It's just really hard to find one that will enable to still complete the rest of a 2 hour movie ;)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Yep, depends on how stable your mains is. I guess that one power cut during (say) the four years, 2000 hours of a lamp won't make much difference.

I think there's a greater risk from residual heat damaging other components; perversely, if there's a power cut, then immediately afterwards, the temperatrure inside the device will actually rise, and may damage plastic reflectors and so on....

Lamp life is more likely to be reduced by being re-started; most lamp types are affected by power on, rather than power off.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I used to get a bit nervous when I was watching a DVD during an electrical storm. Now I have a UPS (not one of the Ebuyer ones) which I bought primarily to protect and keep my Sky+ box going during short power cuts, and I now routinely plug my pj into it for peace of mind.

5. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    this may sound really silly - and for sure the missis would think you to be insanely silly too, but.....

If there is a power cut whilst watching a film, there is nothing stopping you blowing into the fan intake for a few lungfulls - i am sure that 30 secs work will really help dissipate the heat, like a normal shutdown should.

obviously those of you with ceiling mounts will suffer, but i think its a fair idea that just came to me, and one ill use in the unlikely situation that a powercut occurs.

I may get a UPS for my PC if they are *that* cheap though, i just wont spend that for the proj :)

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well I must admit I had a good chuckle when I had the vision of someone perched on a chair blowing into their PJ :rotfl:

I would not recommend that action (even if the pj is within reach), because although a lamp explosion is a rare event, I would not want to have my face up close to the pj vents if it ever did, especially since it contains mercury :eek:

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    I was reading a thread over on avs a year or two ago, and Bob Williams (I think) of Infocus said that a power failure on their models isn't a problem - the lamp cools slower which is no big deal for the lamp, and the surrounding components are designed to withstand the heat from a cooling lamp and no fans.

Running the lamp without a fan is of course a different story.

Lamps do not strike easily when still hot, so if you get a mains fail, make sure to turn the pj off at the plug so that should the mains come back on, the pj doesn't start up again whilst still hot.

I'll try to find the thread and post it here so you can see for yourselves. Of course, it doesn't speak for other manufacturers, but I would hope thay would now have similar thoughts for production.

Gary.

8. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cheers gary re: advice for unplugging the proj to stop it coming back on. interesting stuff.

I guess that projectors are not what they were 8-10 years ago, when we were all scared to touch the damn things, not only has PQ come on in leaps and bounds, but reliablility, and proper design for heat dispertion etc... has followed too.

Stu

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    I can't find the thread in question yet - the guy that started the thread has been banned or at least was threatened with one, so it's possible he's removed his initiating post and I think the whole thread dissapears then. I'll keep looking though.

Another thought just occured though - this info may have ben just for DLP - LCD panels are more prone to heat damage IIRC, so I wonder if the same applies to them. Maybe they're at more risk?

Gary.