1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projectors. Fuse rating in plug.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sainthalo, Oct 29, 2005.

?
  1. 1A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3A

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 4A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. 6A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7A

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. 8A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 11A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 12A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 13A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have some advice from Sanyo UK technical department that my Z3 needs a 13A fuse in the plug. They have said that all their projectors have 13A fuses in order to protect the bulb (as they do not wish for the plug fuse to blow easily).

This makes sense but I have been given other advice on the forum saying this is potentially dangerous.

So if you know or can check your projector's fuse rating please vote on the poll and/or post.

If anyone knows their Sanyo fuse rating, please let me know :smashin:

Regards

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Depending on the cable size, if the fuse is too big, the cable could melt before the fuse goes. For example, if the cable is 1mm, then the current rating would be about 8amps maybe (I can't remembeer off of the top of my head). If the fuse is rated at 13 and the pj developes a fault that causes it to draw 10 amps, then the cable will melt before the fuse blows. You may also find thast the IEC connector may only be rated at 10amps too (cold IEC IIRC).

So the fuse should really be rated at just above what the pj takes under normal running conditions (taking into account any start-up current it may need, but plug fuses are quite course so don't blow quickly).

Gary.

3. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    13amp-pjtx 100

4. Menace

Menace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the make, I have known some projectors to have only a 5a fuse, Strange but true!!!

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember PJs (& most other electrical items) are also fused internally ;) .

:smoke:

6. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer is quite right, there is an internal fuse which is how Sanyo UK explained the projector was protected.

The leadset itself needs protection to (to minimise fire). Now some manufacturers use leadsets with 13A plugs.

Sanyo told me to use a 13A fuse to protect the lamp if there was a nuisance fuse pop, which makes sense.

However someone has just mentioned to check the lead head itself for a moulded fuse rating. Mine says 7A.

If you have a Z3 would be grateful if you could tell me if your plug (the part which goes into the z3 itself) has any writing on it?

7. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    25A 250w

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plug-top fuses very rarely blow these days (13A anyway) as the RCD/MCBs on your fusebox/consumer unit would react much quicker etc.

:smoke:

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Adenochrome - thats interesting, 25A! Any chance you could check the actual fuse in the plug sometime and let me know? We obviously have different leads but I just want to check if Sanyo UK's advice was good.

Yep Kramer, Ibe had some lower rating fuses go in a computer extension lead when i plugged my vacuum cleaner in (d'oh!). I just wanna make sure im not doing anything dangerous. Its been 8 months so far and no fires but you never know and i do leave it plugged in and on all the time.