1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projectors budget £1000 - £1500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by matthewk, Jul 22, 2004.

1. matthewk

matthewk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was hoping you could give me some pointers on which projector is the best for my budget of £1000 - £1500

I would like a projector that works well in normal lighting conditions, as i wish to watch TV during the day on it. e.g the blinds closed and no windows open but a lightbulb on. I will also want it to be good for films.
    I would also (obviously) like a projector with a good clear crisp picture and a high resolution.
    Is this too much to ask for with my budget?
    I have seen only 1 DLP projector and to be honest i couldnt live with the horrible rainbow effect. it was giving me a headache just watching it! Are all low budget DLP projectors like this?

So far from reading through some forum posts and some projector review sites It looks like the best projector for my budget is the Sanyo PLV-Z2

I wondered if you could give me your thoughts and opinions as i am finding it difficult deciding which one to get!

Hope you can help!

Matt

2. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 4805 - DLP - it has more Segments & colour wheels to minimise the rainbow effect - The only way you will know for sure is to go and have a demo in a store - so you can see how it works with light levels you are thinking about.

I have to say that 4805 was the best PJ I saw which included others nearly £3K.

Chris

3. wireman

wireman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have the Infocus 4805. I haven't demoed the Z2 but did manage to see the AE500 which i believe is of similar spec, and although the improvement in picture quality from my PAE100e was easily noticable i was simply 'blown away' when i saw the 4805 in operation. On the day of purchase i had a shootout between the IF4805 and the IF5700. Now i know the 5700 is out of your budget range, but i kid you not that the staff in sevenoaks could not differentiate between the two projectors when the lens mask was being switched between both units and in all honesy neither could I.

Bottom line is simply that i can recomend the 4805 as being a very good value for money DLP projector but from what i have read on these and AVS forums so is the Z2. A shootout maybe?

Wireman

4. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How does the resolution affect the 4805? 480 horizontal lines against 720 of, say the new Hitachi seems a big weakness on paper.

I'm going to buy either the 4805 or Hitachi 100. Game on for a head to head! :D

Considering the Hitachi is about £250 cheaper.....

5. matthewk

matthewk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the feedback so far, i have a slight problem in that I can't really test any projectors, a lot of the shops around my area only stock about 3 projectors. I think i have tried a screenplay projector before but not sure if it was that model, it was around £1000, and i could see the rainbow pretty bad.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the z2 in comparison to the 4805?

i did read some great reviews on the z2 and it seems to be doing well in the poll i.e more people have one!

If anyone has any more thoughts please post i need as much help as i can get! hehe

:lease:

Matt

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I would recommend in the under £1500 bracket:

Sony HS20 - ~£1500 from Discount Electrical
    Panasonic PT-AE500 - £1100 from Komplett
    Hitachi TX100 - £1050 from Nexnix (show & shoot)
    Themescene H30 - ~£1100
    Infocus Screenplay 4805 - ~£1200

The Sanyo Z2 is considered the worst out of those lot and I wouldn't consider it in light of the above machine which have all been introduced onto the market since the release of the Z2. Take a look at this review here, which compares the Sony, Hitachi, Sanyo and Panasonic:

http://world.altavista.com/babelfis...toren/LCD-Vergleich/LCDVergleich.htm&lp=de_en

Personally if it were my money I'd either go for the HS20 if I wanted an LCD or the 4805 for the DLP bunch.

If you can stretch your budget to £1660 you can get the Toshiba MT500 which is a good DLP machine with higher contrast and better resolution, colour wheel and less rainbow effects than the 4805.
    Or again another example of the best for £2000 is the Benq 7800 with Matterhorn DLP chip and a stunning picture for the money.

Plenty to think about then :)

7. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matthewk,

I can only speak from my limited experience, but I too saw VERY noticeable rainbows on an Optoma EP575 that was demoed to me...so I count myself as one of those more likely to see them. Eventually, however, I was swayed to the Themescene (Optoma) H30 because of it's faster colour wheel (that, as I understand it, also loses the white segment for better colour saturation).

The difference is very obvious...yes, I still see them occasionally - BUT (and it's a big "but"), the trade off is a wonderfully smooth, rich and "deep" image that is actually very filmic - miles away from a harsh TV screen or plasma display. So I can really recommend it. It's good and portable and the fan is also nice and quiet.

My other thoughts on the rainbow issue are: Watching a lot of Buffy (as I do) and you'll probably see more due to the nature of the lighting in a show like that. Watching episodes of the Simpsons (as I also do) and you'll almost NEVER see rainbows.

Also - a lot depends on the size of the projected image. Sit right close to a 10 foot wide picture and your eyes will be darting around all over the place - and you'll notice more rainbows. Sit at a decent distance and don't go too huge - I find them barely noticeable that way.

Of course, it's all down to individual tastes - but speaking as a dlp artifact "sufferer" - the H30 is a fantastic little projector. :thumbsup:

9. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Yes I also have the H30, it's a truly awesome projector for the money and I wouldn't hesitate reccomending it to anyone, would I want to use it in fairly light ambient conditions, No.

The H30 is superb for light controlled rooms where the contrast and black levels displayed come into their own, in a room with a fair amount of light you are better off with a brighter projector.

The downside of a brighter projector is that you'll have to seriously trade off blacks for greys and live with a greatly reduced contrast level.

Look at the spec for dedicated home cinema projectors like the H30 and you'll see they tend to be less bright than presentation or dual purpose projectors which need the additional brightness to work well for displaying data in class and boardrooms during the daytime.

Good luck with your search.

Regards, MikeD

10. matthewk

matthewk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone i've found those links very helpful and in depth if anyone else wants to contribute their views that would be great, i think i have plenty to think about there

Thanks again

Matt

11. matthewk

matthewk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now considering spending a bit more money after reading all your comments. I think i am swaying to dlp technology as long as the rainbow effects are not noticible

i am now looking for projectors between £1500 - £1700

maybe i should make a new post

does anyone have any comparisons on projectors in this price range that compare with the Toshiba MT500 as suggested by ShinObiWAN

Matt

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Don't think you'll find much to compete with the Toshiba - it has tumbled in price over the last few months and shares much the same components as the (more expensive) inFocus 5700. Only real difference is inFocus uses Faroudja processing to the Toshiba's use of Silicon Image chips, and the firmware is different with the inFocus being calibrated out the box. Both have same inputs, similar contrast, black level etc etc. Probably a connection from when inFocus used to OEM all their DLPs to Toshiba. I would say the Tosh is a real DLP bargain TBH.

13. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Chaps

I would like to say thanks for the time taken to contribute to this thread, I am in a similar position to Matt, looking to upgrade from my panasonic PTAE100.

Has anyone got an MT500?

Cheers
    Tone

14. JohnDeighton

JohnDeighton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See the topic from 'Tonmeistermat' subject title: H30 vs H56.... a comparison!

He brought his H56 for a cracking price under £1500!

Read the comments by others regarding the Themescene H56 and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

15. matthewk

matthewk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you know how this compares to the BenQ PE7800 as someone has suggested this in comparison with the h56 as it has the matterhorn chipset