1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projectors and smoke

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by monsta2003, May 22, 2003.

1. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im very much considering buying a projector, probably a panny ae300, as you lot seem to be rating it very highly, it fits my price range, and has rgb scart (none of my equiptment has component but it all has rgb scart(and svideo)).

BUT

the projector will be mainly used for dvd and gaming and heres the rub, i am a smoker, as are others that may be in the room when the projector is in use. Im not talking all night poker and cigar sessions (well not often;)) but there will be moderate to light levels of smoke in the room most of the time it is in use. so my question

1) what level (if any) of smoking is exceptable in a projector room (read living room)

2) what damage can smoke cause

3) what can be done to minimise this

-- edit -- forgot to say that this had never occured to me as a problem till i read a thread about problems with the above mentioned projector

i really hope that me being a smoker is not something that excludes me from the joys of the big screen.

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Very hard to say..

2) Well the problem with 'cheap' projectors is they do not have a sealed optical path, meaning that contaminated air from outside the projector is able to reach the optics and LCD panels usually this amounts to just dust blobs which beat the filter, these however can easily be blown off with a can of air. I think the big problem with smoke is the slightly sticky nature of the tar residue means you can't just blow it off and it will build up over time. I don't think completely dissassembling the projector to clean the optics with a solvent is really going to be practical.

3) What can be done?

a) Projector with sealed optics (ker-ching! ;) )
    b) Provide the projector with clean air.. the AE-300 for example, the AE300 sucks air in from a relatively small aperture in the side, if you could somehow pipe air from another room to this vent you'd be sorted. Or in fact mount the projector in another room completely and project through a hole in the wall :)
    c) Quit (but you knew that :devil: )

-- Jon

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never seen a LCD Front PJ in a pub- it's always been either a CRT RPTV or CRT Front Projector.

Should give you a idea that LCD PJ's and cig. smoke don't mix!

4. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers gothmog, mounting in another room may be possible but im going to be buying a house soon and so will have to wait and see on the practicality of this.

nathan_silly, whilst i do smoke quite a bit, the smoke levels would be nothing comparable to a pub. id imagine the max levels of smoke, taking into account for guests, would be around the 10 cigs an hr max level, and more like 3 in most circumstances. I suppose an extractor in the room could be a good start.

Im assuming tha when th epj is not running , and hence the fans arent running, smoke will not be an issue.

5. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The moral of the story is:

Stop smoking.....then you don't need to worry !! :)

6. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

its a possibility, but unlikely, also theres the issue of guests and the odd funny fag

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    monsta2003,

Answer here is none...... LCD projectors and cigarette smoke do not mix, it's as simple as that. Even if you have decent ventilation/extraction, the inlet fans on projectors are reasonably powerful and will still suck in smoke, caoting the insides of the optics with nicotine/tar, which will remain there to cook over time from the heat of the lamp.

I have seen LCD pjs in sports pubs, and they are normally leased or swapped out every sixv months or so. This is a business write-off for the pubs - they couldn't care less.

These two activities are incompatible, imo.

All the best,

Sean G.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    I'd agree. Any device where a light path needs to be kept clear, and has a cooling fan inside it, is bound to accumulate smoke residue. Your light output will deteriorate and acquire a brown/orange tint. Unless, as someone else said, you can pipe up the air inlet on the PJ from a clean source, don't do it. Do your smoking in another room. Even when it's off. Smoke lingers and will get dragged in when you switch it on later.

Where I work, smoking inside is prohibited. The only approved place to smoke is an open draughty outside area which had a white false ceiling, 10 feet up. And it is now brown.

9. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the replies, so it looks like:

a) dont allow any smokin in the room
    b) dont put the projector in the room
    c) put it in a cooled hush box ?
    d) spend alot more money on a sealed unit

i think it may have to be option b.

10. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my wife and i both smoke, but we now smoke in a different room, so as to avoid any problem with the projector. we generally pop out for a quick cig at around half way through the film, and tie it in with beer/coffee refilling/bladder emptying, seems to work ok for us anyway. it also a: helps us cut down and b: keeps the front room fresher. whatever you decide to do i certainly wouldnt smoke near enough to the projector so as to let it suck in the smoke....You will regret it......Trust me.. the big screen image is most definately worth this small compromise imo dont let it stop you getting one You'll love it.

All the best........Splice:smashin:

11. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've made exactly the same compromises as Splice. You get used to it almost straight away. Thats the great thing about Home Cinema. Imagine asking the cinema projectionist to pause the film while you pop out to the loo, top up you coke and to have a fag! :) Ever since I banned myself from smoking in the PJ room and Computer room, confining my smoking to the kitchen, I've halved the number of ciggies I smoke at home. Still smoke like a trouper in the car and when I'm out of the house though! :)

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a idea :) ... use a garden hose, place the fag at one end of the hose and in another room. Suck on the hose to inhale the smoke. Then blow down the hose to exhale.

The room will be smoke free! :)

13. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dont be silly nathan, you would need 2 hoses, one for inhaling one for exhaling

14. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    LOL :rotfl:
    I'm sorry i know we shouldn't do LOL but that was funny as hell :smashin:

15. monsta2003

monsta2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont laugh guys, it had crossed my mind, i could probably resist or at least only have a coule meself, but if the lads came over for the football i dont think theres a chance in hell of stoppin them smokin. smae with the gaming sessions

16. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    Frankly I wouldn't worry about it. Although I'm now a non-smoker (smoked 20 a day for 15 years, 4 months smoke free now) when I first got my projector I smoked in the same room.

If it's occasional when you have friends round then I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just don't let it slip when you're mates have gone!

17. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive never smoked, and never will (I am 22)

It would be damaging to my health.

And it makes you stink.

18. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Amen to that !

19. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well, after loads of really helpful posts telling you to give up...

I'd agree with Smurfin.

I, and my girlfriend, have smoked whilst watching movies, and I have a roaring fire going in my lounge during winters!!!

Now, I know it is bad for my projector, but a year and a bit later, when avia'd, it does not seem too bad.

Buy a cheap projector, enjoy watching it more when smoking, realise you'll need to replace it 6 months earlier than if you didn't smoke, and then stick it on ebay, and get another.

what percentage of people on this forum don't wear glasses of the right prescription, eh?

AVs meant to be fun, smoke away ;)

20. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dont pull your punches Captain.

Ive never exercised, it would certainly damage my health and it makes me stink. But I wouldnt tell others not to exercise