1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projectors and power cuts

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MJ, Jul 22, 2001.

1. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    While still projectorless, not to mention roomless (ah the joys of supporting a growing family) and trawling the bulletin boards for useful information on the HT200 I came across a post on the avs forum. The poster had made provision for a UPS in his home theatre to protect the lamp of the projector in case of power cuts.

This got me thinking with all the power cuts we have experienced lately this might not be such a bad idea.

Anyone out there had any experience of power loss while running a projector?
    :confused:

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I had this the second day i was using the projector!.
    The first powercut in ten years and it had to be half way through a film. So the bulb would have been very hot.
    I leapt up and started fan the vent with a magazine!.
    Luckily the power came back on after twenty seconds.
    I put the projector in standby (fan running-bulb off) and prayed!.
    I was lucky, but i have been looking at computer type UPSs.
    If anything had happened i would have claimed on the house insurance or sued the electric board for the damage.
    I need to find out the peak "start up" amperage/wattage of the sony before buying one.

3. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds like you had a lucky escape.
    I wouldn't want to put claiming on the contents insurance for lamp failure to the test unless its set in stone and signed by them in blood on my policy. Not sure I'd want to take the power supplier to the small claims court either.
    Might take a look at pc ups myself.
    Thanks Paul for the info on your experience.

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The lamp failing would have been the least of my worries. It was the poleriser plates burning that could have wrecked the machine.
    The UPS would also smooth out any spikes which could cause premature bulb failure.
    In the mean time i keep a copy of HCC on standby just in case!!! :D

5. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont want to laugh as you could of had a very costly job on your hands, but I must admit the image of you scambling around in the dark and then fanning and blowing at the ceiling must of been magic as the lights came back on :D :D

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    UPS is actually a pretty good idea. They also act as pretty damn good mains filters and conditioners in addition to offering fail-safe abilities. They make much more sense than the rather ridiculously priced mains conditioners from soem of the more esoteric manufacturers.