Projectors and power cuts

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mrwhippy, Jun 23, 2004.

1. mrwhippy

mrwhippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night we had a short power cut whilst using our Sony HS20 - when the power came back up after 5 or 10 seconds, the fans ran and the lamp/cover warning light was flashing. Shortly afterwards the projector powered up OK and has been fine starting with no repeated lamp warnings. My concern is that repeated or longer power cuts will cause internal overheating to damage the lamp and associated components due to lack of fan over-run.
    My question is whether it is worth getting a computer type UPS for use with the projector? Has anyone tried this? I understand that a UPS will constantly provide a psuedo stepped mains waveform rich in harmonics. Will this result in any adverse projector effects?

Thanks,

Mark.

2. spondle

spondle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres a whole thread on that topic here

3. Threadkiller

Threadkiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use UPS's on my PJ & TiVo for just such a reason, & have not had any problems with either.

4. mrwhippy

mrwhippy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, I have taken a look at the AVS thread and have concluded as follows,

In the case of a power cut, allowing the projector to cool down without the fans running will not do any damage to the bulb, it will just take longer to cool(Some manufacturers such as Optoma have stated this, I tried asking Sony UK customer support but as usual they have employed people who know nothing useful).

Damage will be caused if the bulb is re-started whilst hot.

The HS20 needs to be manually restarted on power out - in fact last night when I un-advisably restarted it as soon as the power came back, it cooled the bulb first (whilst the lamp light flashed), before starting the lamp after a few minutes.

It seems that an expensive sine output UPS is advisable if you do want to backup a projector - I don't think I will bother.