1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projectors and home insurance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark Grant, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello,

Our house insurance is up for renewal, so I have phoned a few companies for quotes.

Many insurance companies have a limit of only £1500 per item for any claim, even though the total contents cover may be £35000 or more.

So if you have an expensive projector/screen, then read the small print on the policy!

I wonder how many people have a policy with a limit of only £1500 per item, not realising that their expensive projector hanging on the ceiling is not covered?

Two of the cheapest quotes I received from telephone insurance companies have no limit per item, up to the maximum covered, quotes from a few high street names had £1500 per item limits, and asked double the premium of the cheaper quotes?

Anyone got any links to any insurance 'review' websites, with comparsisons between companies on item limits, excess etc?

Thanks,

Mark G.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Mark,

I recently changed my insurance cover and was very wary of this. I had to get cover for several video projectors aas well as all the usual household stuff.

Direct Line insurance sorted me out though. They didn't care that about the huge value of the projectors. Only cared about pieces of jewelry..... Guess they're easier to nick than projectors.... Of course, the value of my contents had to increase slightly!

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Gordon,

Direct line have also been helpful with our quote. Nearly half the price of some others with better cover.

Hastings was the best quote on the phone, Verbally quoted no single item limit, but not yet got a copy of the terms and conditions to examine.

Check those policies people [​IMG]

Thanks,

Mark G.

4. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My advice: DON'T DEAL WITH HASTINGS!!!

Those @*?&* insured my motorcycle which was nicked from my back garden back in February. They offered me a pathetic sum and I'm *still* fighting them for a reasonable amount!

Sorry this isn't HC related but wanted to warn you!

Ptm

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello PTM,

I eventually decided on Direct Line, not the cheapest, but still half the price of my Mortgage lenders insurance, and better cover.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark G.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with aa home insurance. I got my toshiba mt1 projector covered for 2800.00 as a specified item. Only cost me an extra 22.00 a year.

7. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just spoke to Direct Line and because I have a Barco 708 with Iris, they won't insure me. Despite the projector costing a fraction of the new price, their new for old policy means it has an insured value of about £11k. Too much for the underwriter.