1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector's, a few questions...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jedi-knight, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    right, i have a panny ae200, projecting onto a 70" 16.9 diy (blackout lining fixed to a frame) screen. it has roughly done 350 hrs in 8 months, which works out as roughly 525 hrs a year at the rate i am using it. also i would like to use it more for playing games etc... but i keep on worrying that the bulb will go prematurally.

would there be a huge difference in brightness & contrast if i had a proper screen, as i am happy with the whites but blacks are more drk green/grey.
    just wondered if blacks would be more black with a proper screen ?

also what is the optimum amount of time the pj should be left on for ? i tend to watch 1 movie at a time so it is usually on for 2-3 hours at a time, but after reading calibos thread he managed to get the 5000 hrs out of his panny ae*00 and he used it for roughly 6-8 hrs at a time. so which is better keeping the pj on for longer per use, or shorter per use ?

also if the electric trips while the pj is on does this do much damage to pj lamp life ? my son once turned the plug switch off whilst it was on :eek: but i quickly flicked the switch back on and the pj came back on with no lamp lit just fan spinning fast :mad: , but then 30 seconds or so later the lamp kicked in :thumbsup: . so i assume the panny has a safety feature which cools the lamp if switched off improperly ?

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't think there's a straight answer to the time on/lamp life question - Min's clocled up 800 hours a year, if you do some long sessions (6 - 8 hours I don't think it would make any difference, if you intended 10 hours a day, just make sure it's in high fan/low lamp mode and has plenty of air around it (not over a radiator).

As far as the screen is concerned, I recently changed a blackout cloth screen for proper screen material. There's more snap to the picture, but it hasn't altered black performance - maybe a grey screen would help, but I found that didn't do the general colour performance any favours.

If the power trips/someone inadvertently turns off the power, then you're better to leave the projector off and let it cool down in it's own time - turning it back on straightaway causes the lamp to try to ignite, and lamps definitely don't like hot re-starts.

... I don't think this is a safe assumption - if the power to the projector is cut, then it's cut - when you turned it back on the temp sensor will cause the fan to start up, but you'd still be better off without a hot re-start.

Sean G.

3. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks ritz, also after a bit of searching on the net i read that it is totally safe to hook up a games console for hours as lcd & dlp pj's are immune to screen burn, is this true ?

cheers.

4. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, LCD and DLP projectors have no phosphor which can get burnt.

5. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You had better have a look at the other thread PT-AE100E, imprinting on the LCD by ]mush[ [thread]162314[/thread] which has this helpfull link

6. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks all, good news is it seems it's not screen burn but image persistence on lcd panels & can be reversed by displaying a clear white screen for hours or days....good to know. :thumbsup:

cheers.