1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joe davis, Apr 29, 2002.

1. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i have a nec vt440 projector and

looking for dlp projector .

thank you joe.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    ....and in what way can we help you? Do you want advice on what to buy? What is your budget? What other equipment do you have? What limitations do you have (eg it must be portable, mounted on a coffee table.....)?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd be most interested to know in what respect you are looking to improve on your NEC, I compared a large number of DLP units to this PJ and found them wanting in almost all respects, particularly noise...

4. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi nigel
    my room 12ftx14
    i have
    yamaha dsp-a2
    panasonic super vhs nv-hs950
    echostar d-2500ip digital

television panasonic 32"100HZ
    dvd pioneer dv 737 multi-region
    Quattro electronic auido video control
    speakers tannoy fronts center.
    boston rear surrounds
    sub relQ 100
    creative extigy sound blaster
    pc pentium(r)4 cpu 1300mhz
    geforce 4ti 4200
    dvd player phillips 963 sa

5. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi maw
    lcd or dlp £5000.
    thank you joe.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Presumably you want more image quality? Of course a £5000 PJ of almost any make/type will better a £1500 PJ, but you will not see the improvement with your existing inputs. Are you using S-Video? That will be your problem. You will find a breathtaking improvement by using a HCPC or line doubler to get progressive scan component input. My 440 is very satisfactory with a larger screen than you can have in that room, I use a PC to drive it, but I have tried an i-scan, that was pretty good too. I'd clean up your inputs, make sure if you must use s-video the lead is top quality, and don't switch your s-video with that yamaha, that will reduce quality too.

Have fun, Martin

7. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    dvd 737 to the 440 component to 15pin min d sub very good
    s video for the rest.
    thank you joe.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    So is it the s-video quality that's an issue then? In my experience, limited it may be, no PJ s-video circuitry is up to scratch. I'm just about to buy and try a lektropaks RGB to s-video converter so I don't have to have the hovercraft disguised as a pc turned on....It won't be as good as an i-scan, but it's £50 not £750 and I have other expensive hobbies, ie boats and cars, so compromises must be made. What I'm trying to say is spend £4250 on a new projector and get an i-scan and you'll be much better pleased with the results. Otherwise, your £5k PJ will look pants. Mine has an awful crawling diamond pattern on s-video, makes us think we're further down the bottle than we are. That's the cure, but I'm just off to buy a new car, so there goes the line doubler.... As to LCD versus DLP, it's preference I think. Each is good at some things and less good at others, If your PJ is on the table in front of you, the DLP noise is intrusive I find. And I reckon you may not see the need if you get the line doubler 1st

9. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi martin very good advice there had a very good think about it and i will keep the projector i have as it has new bulb with 20 hours on it. I will think about the iscan-prowill it work ok with 737 dvd player and how did you get on with your new car. :)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm sure you can pass the 737 signal through the Iscan, just will you want to? It's output is rgb 15 pin apparently, someone correct me if I'm wrong, you can run a best quality monitor lead from it to your 440, s-video or composite in from digibox, VHS etc, and component in from DVD, though you may wish not to process the component signal, I can't see a way with the 440 to do this without a switch or plug/unplug leads, as your component in is via the 15 pin....perhaps someone might like to comment on this?

New car? Tuesday, mate. Replacing our Impreza with a new WRX wagon, can't think of anything else to buy for that money, bit like a VT440, it beats the pants of many of twice or 3 times the price. Not to say it can't be beat at any price of course... just more than I can pay.

11. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i am going to upgrade from dvd pioneer737 to
    philips dvd 963sa pal progressive scan will it be ok with vt440 thanks joe.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sure it will, only r2's are progressive really of course, but you may find you can hack PAL progressive, ask around.

13. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi got the 963sa to day and pal progressive scan not working
    ntsc ok. on the vt440. thanks joe