1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bubbauk, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was looking at getting a plasma but i realised on a budget that a projector would give me the big picture i want with half the price, just a few questions and ideas first.

How long would the lamp life last on a projector with about say 2 hours usage a day maybe 5 hours sometimes but say 2-3 on average, if taken proper care of (turning off properly and not just pulling the plug and cleaning the vents every month or so), and when it does die how much would i be looking to spend on a replacement including instalation (or could i do that myself).

Currently i have NTL Digital, DVD and PC hooked up to my TV, DVD is RGB Scart to NTL then NTL via RGb Scart to my TV, my PC uses an S-Video connector to my TV, I will soon be adding an Xbox 360 though so need to expand. The best way i see for setting up with a projector is as follows.

DVD to NTL Via rgb scart as it is, then ntl RGB scart to a Component upscaller and into my amp, then component out into a splitter and one goes to Projector and one goes to a downscaller to RGB then into my TV again, i will be usuing my TV and my projector since i wont need the projector most of the time, and for casual viewing i dont want to be wasting the lamp life on my projector, then when adding the xbox 360 i just connect it to the other component input on my amp, for my PC i will run a VGA connection into my projector and have the normal svideo connection as it is, i know this might be a bit complicated and i dont know if the upscalling/downs scalling is the best way to do it or the cheapest but im not really sure what the best way is and i am pretty new to all this AV stuff, but please comment on what i have said and hopefully there is a cheaper/better way to do it or if my way would do fine.

Another thing, i was going to purchase a cheap UPS aswell something at about £50 or so just incase my power cuts out, then i can turn off my projector properly and not damage the lamp, my house has dodgey electrical wireing and sometimes it likes to cut out so i think this would be a wise idea.

I am also going to need a ceiling mount as it will be mounted above the window in my bedroom.

Sorry about this post being so long and some of it might not even make sense but i hope someone can help me.

I need some advice on what projector to get, what mount to get and what screen to get for it, my price range would be about £700 but i want to stay closer to the £500 mark. Here is a link to a projector i have seen and seems to be in my price range http://www.projectorcentral.com/NEC_HT410.htm , i am not sure if you are allowed to post company links so i will just post this one to be safe, also if it is allowed could you point me to some good places to get projectors online as i dont know very many AV places.

Thank you for any help, its much apreciated.

Damnit trust me to post in the wrong forum!, If someone reads this could they move it for me please?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    I'm going to move this to the Projectors forum, which seems more appropriate.

3. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Hi thanks for that, i posted in the wrong forum, its too early for me :boring:

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well you've totally confused me with what you want to do in regards to connections...lol..considering the projector you will get at the price wont be the most fantastic, i wouldnt worry too much about connections, providing you work at S-Video or above (ie no composite if possible)...you should just be able to plug it all in to an A/V receiver and then send one lead to Projector (if your amp can upconvert then use component) and one lead to your TV.......

lamp life will vary, but on average you get about 3,000 hours on low lamp settings, so if you use on average 3hrs a day, you get 1,000 days, or 3 years roughly......there will be some days you will use more, some you wont use at all, so it probably works out right.....sadly i havnt stuck to this, i tend to turn mine on once it gets dark enough and it dont go off for hours, i watch TV on it, DVD, play games...lol...i've clocked up almost 200 hours now i think in 3 weeks or so...heh

5. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lol cheers for that, yeah i prob would watch it more than a few hours a day, but unless im playing a dvd or a game id probably stick to my tv, the way i was saying about the connections may have been a bit complicated but i dont want to loose the RGB connection from my dvd player and ntl, i did use s video for my dvd player before then went to rgbs cart and it looked a good bit better, ill do some research and thinking today about a more optimal way of doing it.

Thanks again.

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well your DVD player should have component, most do, thats better than RGB.....

as for the NTL i wouldnt know, i havnt seen their boxes, but you may have to settle for s-video. unless of course the projector u end up buying has SCART inputs, there are a few i think...

7. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All ntl boxes only have scart, so to connecto to the projector i would have to upscale/downscale it, so thats why i was gonna upscale it to component, and if i had the DVD player connected to the ntl aswell then that would mean one less cable to purchase and not much loss of quality, i will try and say what i said in my first post a bit clearer.

DVD player to NTL via RGB Scart
    NTL to A/V Receiver via component upscaller
    A/V Receiver to component splitter box
    One component connection goes to Projector
    One component connection goes to RGB Scart downscaller and into TV
    PC connects to projector via VGA connections

Now i dont know if a component to RGB scart exists or how good/bad the quality would be with doing this.

If there was a projector that had scart input then it would make it so much simpler, then i just split the scart connection coming from my ntl and connect one to my TV then one to the projector, although i havent seen a projector with scart and on a budget i dont think i will find one.

8. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There are some projectors that do have scart.

Have you thought about using the PC as a HCPC (Home Cinema PC). This offers the best output quality for a projector and provides DVD playback can Pause and Record live tv (Stick in a PVR card like Haupauge to do this).

Sorry to add to your options hehe

Anim

9. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dont worry about it, im open to suggestion, although that isnt one i would like to take, although my pc is on constantly, it would mean purchasing a new sound card to output and decode better, which would eliminate alot of the main features or my amp, i was thinking today a bit and have thought about it and i am not going to connect my NTL Digi box to my projector, just the dvd player and PC as all i would have to do then is purchase a vga cable and a component cable and plug them into my projector, although that is assuming the dvd player will output the rgb scart and the component video at the same time, which i dont think it will do, will it?

Has anyone got any suggestions about which projector to get and where to get it from?

Thanks for the help so far.

10. Bubbauk

Bubbauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is there anyone that can help me? I would really apreciate some help, thanks.