Projector won't recognise Apple TV signal

Cinebad

Novice Member
Reaction score
I know similar problems have been posted before, but mine seems slightly different:

set up:
Optoma UHD35 PJ
Sony STR DH770 Receiver
15m HDMI 2.0 cable
PS3
Apple TV 4k

the projector will recognise blurays played on a PS3, but won't recognise content from my Apple TV 4k (although the home screen now and again appears fleetingly on the screen). Any thoughts on settings? Another problem is that I can't seem to access the amp's settings menu (only basic functions), as the others won't appear on screen.

thanks!

PS - i have ordered a 10m HDMI cable to see if that works better.

My first thought was cable. Update when you’ve tried the replacement… bear in mind the cable will need to be suitable for 4K over 10m, such as a fibre one if the replacement is also duff.

My first thought was cable. Update when you’ve tried the replacement… bear in mind the cable will need to be suitable for 4K over 10m, such as a fibre one if the replacement is also duff.
Thanks. I should receive the new cable tomorrow so will try then and update. (It is 4K-compatible cable, but not fibre i think)

Couple of other things spring to mind;

the blu rays you can play, are they 4K or 1080p?
you don’t have a tv also linked to the amp do you, or is it just the pj?

Couple of other things spring to mind;

the blu rays you can play, are they 4K or 1080p?
you don’t have a tv also linked to the amp do you, or is it just the pj?
The amp only has one hdmi output, so I have to manually change it over to connect to my tv. That’s an LG OLED and everything works perfectly on that (through the amp). It’s hard to know what the issue is. Thanks again

The amp only has one hdmi output, so I have to manually change it over to connect to my tv. That’s an LG OLED and everything works perfectly on that (through the amp). It’s hard to know what the issue is. Thanks again
And sorry, only 1080 Blu-rays. I don’t have a 4K player yet

Have you tried the atv direct to the projector which would rule the avr in or out, also what is the video settings on the atv set to ?

Have you tried the atv direct to the projector which would rule the avr in or out, also what is the video settings on the atv set to ?
I did initially connect the Apple TV to the pj and it worked. But now when I connect it direct it doesn’t. I wondered if the cable is possibly directional, but then the other sources wouldn’t work. Will try new cable soon

So, update. I tried the new HDMI cable, and initially same problem. But then I swapped over to the second input on the projector (HDMI 2 - not labelled as a HDR input) and all is good. So seems to be a compatibility issue with the HDR input for some reason. I can investigate that, but in the meantime i'm happy that it's working. (The picture quality looks good (although I was only viewing it in daylight); it also doesn't have the 'sparkle' effect which was very visible on bluray discs played via the PS3 - i had thought the screen itself might be causing that, but it must be some noise artifacts?)

Glad you got sorted in the end, at least in the short term. So you have 4K but not hdr? Might still be a bandwidth issue with the cable though, but at least you have something to work with. I’m not familiar with the projector - will they be different rated inputs?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom