1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Woes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Apocalypse, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done the post on my own webspace due to the numerous pictures.

http://www.lypse.eclipse.co.uk/tv_problem.htm

For the record I love that TV but if there is no other solution I'll have to get rid of it, I'm hoping that perhaps someone else has a solution is all :)

Phil

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    I think the best solution would be as you suggested - sell the tv and get a smaller one.

Use the tv for normal Coronation St type viewing, and the projector for proper stuff like movies.

To really appreciate the big screen it's better to go from a small screen to much bigger. To go from a rear pro would probably less then impact of the bigger screen.

That's my opinion anyway, as I think movies should be big, and tv small, otherwise it reduces the overall effect.

You going to be using a fixed screen (if so, consider DIY - can be very cheap) or a pull down/electric?

Gary.

3. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have another room in the house where you could place the telly? That's my plan when I get a PJ.

I've a 36" widescreen which would also get in the way. My plan is to have the full surround system/CRT PJ/fixed screen in one room for movies etc. and watch "normal" TV in stereo or basic 5.1 in the other.

Could you move the seating further back in the room to use your second solution and have a reasonable viewing distance?

If you put your equipment on a rack and the center speaker under the TV would it give you enough clearance or at least negate the nead for an acoustically transparent screen?

You could always put the TV in your bedroom failing all else and get a cheapish DVD player assuming you have space and don't have the WAF to deal with! :)

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary - I'd be using a fixed screen and I was looking at the Panny AE300 as a projector. My budget is 2K so that doesn't leave enough for a new TV unfortunately. To complicate matters I've seen a Tag AV32RBP192-THXEX-7.1-DTS going for 2K and it's looking very tempting now :suicide:

owenw - ROFL at your last sentence, *cough* that is my bedroom :laugh:

To maximise my landlord income certain rooms are no longer available in my abode :eek: :D

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Could you not have a screen come in front of the TV. Make one side of the screen a ....uh! screen and the other side a tapestry or picture, then you could hang it on another wall when not in use.:rolleyes:

6. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it??? LOL :D:D
    <yorkshire accent>Having a PJ in the bedroom is sheer luxury, lad; sheer luxury I tell thee!</yorkshire accent>

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    How about you sell the big tv and buy a cheapo 28" set for around the £200 mark?

That way you still have the majority of your budget remaining.

The Tag'll have to wait if you want a big screen now, and you can be up and running in no time if you buy stuff that isn't too esoteric or expensive...

Gary.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I need convincing as to the merits of a projector. My local 7Oaks have the Panny AE300 available for demo so I'll try and get a look tomorrow, if I like what I see I'll get rid of the TV.

BTW my budget is now 3K so I have more options methinks. Thanks for your input Gary.

Phil

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Big Screen,

Big Sound,

Bass Shakers in the seats that vibrate with explosions...

You'll never watch tv again... :)

Gary.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm looked at your website. Small room- smaller than mine! Dunno how you will be able to fit that RP plus a screen- I don't think it's possible- unless you put the racking down the side wall/behind you?

Isn't the RP way too high? My 42" was ontop of a Ikea stand (38cm high) and I needed to put the chairs on a chipboard box. Surely the RP ontop of your AV racking will be way too high? Do you sit on stools?

11. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROFL at the stools comment :laugh:

Both viewing chairs are fairly high, one is a leather exec chair and the other is the PC chair. The top of the rear pro screen is at the limit before the brightness dulls from the viewing position. I had to get that stand to accomodate just some od my gear, 3 devices couldn't fit in :(

I think the Arcam AV8 is currently ahead in the race to claim my funds but the DD-18 is fast catching up, the projector is beginning to feel the pace of the brutal challenge. Metaphor ridden sentences is always a sign that I should go to bed :blush: