Projector vs TV

MuttonJeff80

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I posted this in the home cinema building forum, but not had any replies so I thought I'd try here.

I have a few options for a home cinema. I already have a 1080p projector, so sticking with that is the cheapest option, but due to the wall shape I am restricted to;

A. 110” screen at floor level.
B. 100” screen approx 5 inch off the floor.
C. 92” screen approx 15 inch off the floor.
D. 85” TV pretty much wherever it needs to go

If I go for the TV, it will be 4k, but that isn't enough reason to upgrade on its own.

What do you think?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

MuttonJeff80

Novice Member
Thanks for that... It helps put things in perspective.

Anyone got any thoughts on the height of the screen... Is a bigger screen mounted low better than a small screen mounted higher (I read the middle of the screen should be eye level)?

alebonau

not good ... unless going for an acoustic transparent screen with centre speaker behind the screen ...

this will work better than above options... leaving some space under the screen for a centre speaker... just make sure sit about 2.8m or less for THX spec for immersion or greater...

there wont be any decent quality TV you are gong to buy at that size unless spending mega bucks ! seriously mega bucks

ones will get will have for instance side lighting with baffles...or if will be back lit its going to be pretty large zones...

my suggestion go quality over quantity..... quality will sit there and enjoy..quantity ... the larger the screen the more obvious will be the flaws in all their glory !

MuttonJeff80

Novice Member
not good ... unless going for an acoustic transparent screen with centre speaker behind the screen ...

this will work better than above options... leaving some space under the screen for a centre speaker... just make sure sit about 2.8m or less for THX spec for immersion or greater...

there wont be any decent quality TV you are gong to buy at that size unless spending mega bucks ! seriously mega bucks

ones will get will have for instance side lighting with baffles...or if will be back lit its going to be pretty large zones...

my suggestion go quality over quantity..... quality will sit there and enjoy..quantity ... the larger the screen the more obvious will be the flaws in all their glory !
Thanks... I’ve pretty much written off 100” and 110”

I know you say I won’t get a decent tv without spending loads, but I’m used to using a cheap (benq w1070) projector in a less than ideal room. Any reasonable tv picture is going to be just fine for me... particularly if the alternative is a noisy projector a few inches above my head!

I’ve not ruled out sticking with the projector, but I’m leaning towards the tv!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks... I’ve pretty much written off 100” and 110”

I know you say I won’t get a decent tv without spending loads, but I’m used to using a cheap (benq w1070) projector in a less than ideal room. Any reasonable tv picture is going to be just fine for me... particularly if the alternative is a noisy projector a few inches above my head!

I’ve not ruled out sticking with the projector, but I’m leaning towards the tv!

Best of both worlds is probably an alr screen so you get the size of a projector with some of the ambient light coverage of a tv

ask4me2

Due to the room size limitations and the use of the BenQ w1070 projector, I guess going the 92" ALR screen route looks like a good idea, but that may also introduce a projector update real soon.
If Ambient Light is a problem, I think a vill rather go for an 85" TV in that room and get 4K and a silent setup with no much extra heat and lamp wear to be concerned with.

MuttonJeff80

Novice Member
Ambient light won’t be an issue as it’s a windowless room.
When I planned out a 92” screen, the top of the screen would be about 65 inches off the ground, so I was worried the projector would be quite low and close to my head.
Hopefully the floor will be in by the end of the week, so I can get up and properly measure!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
When I planned out a 92” screen, the top of the screen would be about 65 inches off the ground, so I was worried the projector would be quite low and close to my head.
Hopefully the floor will be in by the end of the week, so I can get up and properly measure!
ALR screen increased perceives contrast by reducing the effect of reflecting light and reducing black floor.

if ur room is painted black and has MVEL22 black on the ceiling, walls and floor; then u dont need an ALR screen. if it doesnt, you will see some benefit.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
There’s a world of difference between a windowless room with light coloured walls and ceiling and a room which has its walls/ceiling and floor treated for reflections.

B039BF91-DBF6-4DD5-887D-44BFCC688746.jpeg

alebonau

Height of top of screen is no issue, it’s the height off bottom of screen and floor that’s a concern that means 100 and 110” are no good with no room for centre or a very skinny one on the floor firing at your ankles :D

With screens you want eye level somewhere between bottom of screen and bottom third of screen. the 92” I’m thinking will put bottom of screen around chest level for most seating and eye level for scope material which will work very well. Centre speaker firing at chest level or even slightly lower will work fine with modern tweeters with dispersion they have :)

boboc

Standard Member
When room height is a limiting factor - this is a typical use case for a cinemascope screen. You can have a much larger screen for movies then. You need a projector with motorized lens (or an anamorphic lens which are crazy expensive and therefore are not really an option).

The following comparison shows how a 2.35:1 movie looks like on a 85" tv vs. 106" cinemscope 2.35:1 screen (which has the same height as 92" 16:9 screen).

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
When room height is a limiting factor - this is a typical use case for a cinemascope screen. You can have a much larger screen for movies then. You need a projector with motorized lens (or an anamorphic lens which are crazy expensive and therefore are not really an option).

The following comparison shows how a 2.35:1 movie looks like on a 85" tv vs. 106" cinemscope 2.35:1 screen (which has the same height as 92" 16:9 screen).

The is a better comparison since the TV will be 16:9, it actually gives a near identical image for normal TV viewing but a properly large image for almost all movies as the vast majority are shot in 2.40:1.

I myself made the switch from a 100" 16:9 to a 112" 2.35:1 screen and couldn't be happier with that decision, but you are correct you need a projector like the Epson TW9300/9400 with it's motorised Lens with memory.

So if the width of a 106" CinemaScope screen would fit (247cm) and you have the room to mount the front of Epson at least 350cm from the screen then this would be the best option to go with.

Last edited:

alex30

Hi guys,

I posted this in the home cinema building forum, but not had any replies so I thought I'd try here.

I have a few options for a home cinema. I already have a 1080p projector, so sticking with that is the cheapest option, but due to the wall shape I am restricted to;

If I go for the TV, it will be 4k, but that isn't enough reason to upgrade on its own.

What do you think?
One thing I would definitely do, if going the TV route, is get one that is HDR (and preferably Dolby Vision ) capable. Having got used to HDR10 and DV I find myself reluctant to watch non HDR material. For me the visuals are extremely important and HDR adds so much.

MuttonJeff80

Novice Member
Thanks for the input... I think the decision is been made to go down the tv route.
Now I need to decide between the Sony XH95 and the Samsung Q80T!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Sony is a better TV. You'd need to go to a higher model Samsung.

Also, Samsung has no Dolby Vision, not that it's a massive deal.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom