Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Projector vs regular CRT TV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Frankeh, May 29, 2005.

1. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O.K I'm still having a big dilemma about what I should buy.

because of the fact I have NO TV/Projector whatever at this moment, I really need something new SOON.

I was planning to buy myself a nice CRT 32" of 700£ , I have no problem with the fact a CRT is heavier, ...

though.. I didn't know exactly what HDTV means until the announcement of the PS3 & XBOX 360 being HDTV compatible... (I live in Europe, this generation of consoles: XBOX/PS2 were not compatible with High Definition)

so.. with a budget of 1350£ I can invest more in my new "TV" so it's future proof for High Definition for the next-gen consoles.

I was wondering.. Projectors around the price range of 1350£... what picture quality do they give in normal mode? (no HDTV, in 480i right?) it's just.. I'll probably don't buy one of the new consoles on it's launch, it's possible I'm buying XBOX360/PS3 END 2006 so picture quality for games without HDTV mode is important too.

so what I'm asking: the picture quality a projector gives for a regular 480i game.. is that picture quality not comparable with CRT in a negative way? or does it come close? of course it depends on how many £££ a projector costs, but thinking of a projector in a price range of 1350£ ... ?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    TV = buy, plonk it in place, plug it in, away you go.

A PJ takes a lot more setup - screen, location, connections, needs to be dark etc etc.

Depending on how much you use it, you may need to take the cost of new lamps into consideration.

So don't take the decision lightly.

But the results are worth striving for...PJ :)

3. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    light isn't a big issue for me, I always play my games (on TV) in a , as dark as it can get , room.
    @Bold: how do you mean? I'd like you guys to still answer my question:

"so what I'm asking: the picture quality a projector gives for a regular 480i game.. is that picture quality not comparable with CRT in a negative way? or does it come close? of course it depends on how many £££ a projector costs, but thinking of a projector in a price range of 1350£ ... ?"

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    I would suggest a tv for normal viewing, and a pj for games and movie viewing. That way you don't lose the impact of the big screen. You also need full light control or the image will suffer.

CRTs are capable of excellent image quality but home theater projectors can also produce images that are very impressive and comparable in many respects so you won't be dissapointed. The little Optoma H30a is worth a demo as are some LCDs which are generaly cheaper for the same resolutions.

High Def is 1280 x 720 or more, but the costs for those pjs are more than standard definition pjs. Many SD pjs will accept the HD signals and scale them down to SD. For the price, an LCD will be cheaper than a DLP for Hi Def resolution.

Nothing beats the big screen for movies and games and as Pj has said, it's definitely worth striving for. :)

Gary.

5. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    someone said the following:

Basically crap in = crap out. If the game source is good then I think a huge screen for games kicks ass.

Same goes for any source on a projector. The better the source the better the picture. It's more critical on a projector because the image is so big so you notice flaws more.

Is this true for games? when is a game source good and when is it bad? depends on the console? (PS2/XBOX) or the connection? "component, HDMI, .." or what?

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    I would think games would generaly be pretty good as they're computer generated, though sometimes you might get tearing or similar with 3D games depending on the graphics card or the games rendering. I would use the vga connection normaly, but you can experiment with the other available connections to see which one looks best to you.

DVDs can occasionaly produce some extra noise in dark areas, so make sure you set the black level correctly and you should be fine. It's quite true that a large screen will show up any defects etc which is why it's more important to try and set things up correctly. There's a link at the top for basic calibration if you think your pj needs tweaking.

Gary.