1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector vs plasma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sk1234, Sep 9, 2001.

1. sk1234

sk1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excuse my ignorant question....but i am about to buy a plasma tv, and then just found out about using a projector for home cinema. how does the picture quality compare projector vs plasma TV ?<br />thanks for the help

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    For the same price as a good PDP, the Panasonic for example, at around £7.5k, you can get a Sim2 HT200DM DLP and 7ft Owl screen, which will beat the PDP hands down.

Much bigger screen also.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that depends on which projector and which plasma. The general consensus of opinion is that the Panasonic TH42PWB3 represents the current state of the art as far as plasma goes. Owning one myself all I can say is that with a good DVD source the picture is outstanding. However I'm pretty sure a good CRT projector would give it a good run for it's money but the reason I prefer plasma over CRT is convenience really. I don't want the back end of a bus on my ceiling or floor and the plasma can be viewed in all ambient lighting conditions whereas a projector really has to be watched in the dark for best results. Also the life of projector lamps put me off although the life of a plasma display hasn't been proven but a chap at Panasonic quoted me 30,000 hrs to lose half it's original brighness which basically means I'll be replacing it before it packs in! Overall I'd say audition both (preferably in your own home and set up properly!) and see which you prefer. If you have room for a CRT projector and have another TV you could use for normal daytime viewing then that might be a good option, if you want something very sexy on your wall that gives superb results with a good source then you can't go far wrong with the Panny plasma.

Cheers<br />Andy.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32