Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Projector Vs Plasma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dan76n, Oct 15, 2004.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, I looking getting a projector for a cinema room I will be building in my house in about 12 months, I like the BenQ PE8700. I was also looking at getting a Plasma now for the lounge room . would I be better off with getting the projector now and using it with an image similar to the size of a plasma and if so what quality will the image be at that size incomparison to a plasma. it would be projected from a coffee table to a white wall.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    For a main lounge TV, I'm not sure a projector would be that good an idea (light levels and all that) - you may be better off with a decent plasma.
    If you don't require a projector now, then no doubt in 12 months time, the HD2+ units will be down in price a bit by then as well (lthough you could probably say the same about plasma TVs too!)
    Personally I don't really see the point of buying the PJ now and using it with a plasma size image - may as well just get the plasma now, and a PJ when the HC is ready (that's just my opinion though). In any case, as it appears you will be getting both within 12 months anyway, you have a certain amount of "safety net" built into your decision making - you jammy git :) :)
    But at the end of the day, as they say " You pay your money and take your choice", and it's your money....

As to picture quality on the same size screen - depends on many things, the two units in question for starters obviously, light levels etc etc
    In the main lounge WAF can sometimes be an issue too - and no amount of technical or picture quality arguments can overcome it once it appears!

3. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think of it like this: plasma is a TV replacement. PJ is not, it is a cinema screening device.

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Wife approval factor. :D

Doesn't matter how good it is. What matters is how it looks in their living room...