1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Vs Plasma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dan76n, Oct 15, 2004.

1. dan76n

dan76n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, I looking getting a projector for a cinema room I will be building in my house in about 12 months, I like the BenQ PE8700. I was also looking at getting a Plasma now for the lounge room . would I be better off with getting the projector now and using it with an image similar to the size of a plasma and if so what quality will the image be at that size incomparison to a plasma. it would be projected from a coffee table to a white wall.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    For a main lounge TV, I'm not sure a projector would be that good an idea (light levels and all that) - you may be better off with a decent plasma.
    If you don't require a projector now, then no doubt in 12 months time, the HD2+ units will be down in price a bit by then as well (lthough you could probably say the same about plasma TVs too!)
    Personally I don't really see the point of buying the PJ now and using it with a plasma size image - may as well just get the plasma now, and a PJ when the HC is ready (that's just my opinion though). In any case, as it appears you will be getting both within 12 months anyway, you have a certain amount of "safety net" built into your decision making - you jammy git :) :)
    But at the end of the day, as they say " You pay your money and take your choice", and it's your money....

As to picture quality on the same size screen - depends on many things, the two units in question for starters obviously, light levels etc etc
    In the main lounge WAF can sometimes be an issue too - and no amount of technical or picture quality arguments can overcome it once it appears!

3. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think of it like this: plasma is a TV replacement. PJ is not, it is a cinema screening device.

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Wife approval factor. :D

Doesn't matter how good it is. What matters is how it looks in their living room...