1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector use

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MARTIN TURNER, Feb 23, 2004.

1. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had a plasma for 18 mths and am thinking of moving up the food chain to a projector (42inches was never going to be big enuff) but we are big tv watchers and game players. would any of u guys recommend using a projector and screen for prolonged tv use or am i better of sticking with plasma. also my plasma gives me the option of two channels at the same time split down the middle could i keep this facility with any projectors?thx lads.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Generally front projectors don't like much ambient light, which tends to wash-out colours and convert blacks to greys, how much light you need or can tolerate is going to be a personal thing. You can get higher brightness projectors to help reduce this problem, but that means you'll need to select the projector on something other and picture-quality as a prime concern.

The other big issue is placement of the projector with respect to the screen and seating position, some need to be relatively close to the screen while others will be far away, still more will be more or less where the ideal seating position will be, which is usually 1.5+ screen width away. While re-arranging furniture etc. to watch a movie can be acceptable, permanent re-location of seating etc. around could prove troublesome. ;) ... again, throw-distance considerations will narrow your choice of projector.

One or two projectors do Picture-in-Picture but it's not at all a common feature.