Projector Upgrade.

evolution400

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have had my Infocus Projector for about 6 months now I have to admit its a superb value for money projector superb picture but I want to get a 720p native projector I have been looking at the New Hitachi TX200 and Sanyo Z4 or would it be worth getting the previous models I am just looking for best quality 720p in that price range.
Also any ideas on a used price for my Infocus 4805 still will all documents, leads and done about 200 hours if that or any offers ?
Cheers.

thanks I think I prefer the Z4 smaller and quieter.
Any idea on a cost for my 4805 its mint ?

I have decided to import a projector from the USA I am now turned off an LCD projector because of the dead pixel issue as its coming from the USA I doubt the UK will offer me a warranty unless somone nows otherwise ?
I was looking at the Optoma H76 and the Infocus 7200
I know thes models are out of production now but would they be as good as the new LCD line up quality wise ?

The way prices are diving I'll hang on to my 4805 until there is a constant, reliable, affordable Hi Def source to hook up to.

the 7205 is a luvverly projector, i can vouch for that, dunno about the 7200 tho...

how long can you hang around? wait a month or two and u might find 7205 being sold refurb or even brand new for around the £2,000 mark......

binbag said:
The way prices are diving I'll hang on to my 4805 until there is a constant, reliable, affordable Hi Def source to hook up to.
Thats what I have currently I am going to put it on ebay soon 133 hours on bulb only had it for 6 months its a superb projector but watching my HD stuff on my Sagem Axium 50" DLP TV in 720p just makes me want to trade in my 4805 for a 720p native projector.
I can wait untel just before xmas so maybe I will hang on I find I can pick up quite a few projectors for a reasonable price.
I am discounting LCD only because of the dead pixel issue, if I was getting one from the UK I wouldnt mind just big risk if I get it back here and I have quite a few dead pixels pity as I like the look of the ne LCD range.
The following are prices at which I can aquire them from USA.
DLP.
BenQ PE8700 - £1,140
Infocus 7200 - £1,140
Optoma H76 - £1,100
LCD
Panasonic AE900 £1025
Sanyo Z3 - £763

Which seems to be the best value and what ranking order from best to worst ?

Have you included import tax?

yep I luckily have a connection in the USA who is back and forth to the UK a few times a year so they are bringing it back for me when I aquire it from an online usa etailer :)

evolution400 said:
yep I luckily have a connection in the USA who is back and forth to the UK a few times a year so they are bringing it back for me when I aquire it from an online usa etailer :)

:smashin: Nice one, some good prices.

I am thinking of going for the benq as its the newest of the 3 still in production the one I am interested in does have the Hd2+ chip so its 2500:1 contrast the claimed fan DB is 30 anyone know what the fan db is for the infocus 4805 ? just as a comparison.
I think this is the best value looking at the retail price on these projectors.
Looking at the stats it does not say it supports PAL does that mean it will just convert all PAL dvds to 480p ?
Any benq 8700 owners on here ?

The Benq 7700 is the new 720p model. The 8700 is old. You can pick up the 7700 for around £1500 from some of our forum sponsors (NexNix, Ivojo) - it's probably the best vfm HD DLP model at present. Seems to be prone to the bulb going early, though if you check out avsforum, so perhaps a US import here would be a mistake.

The Mitsubishi HC3000 is due out soon. That should be another sub-£2k 720p DLP. In fact it has 768 lines, which allows you to additionally show 4:3 material at a higher res as well as 16:9 at 720 lines. Quite a neat idea!

Squibbly

A recent reviewer of the Panny 900 was very impressed, and he prefered it to his own BenQ 8700. I do think buying from the USA is a mistake though as if anything goes wrong... Dead pixels are very rare now with LCD machines though so even importing I would'nt be concerned by this. Myself personally, if I was looking at buying a DLP PJ would be playing the wating game and buy from the UK, as I'm sure prices are going to fall very quickly!

evolution400 said:
I have decided to import a projector from the USA I am now turned off an LCD projector because of the dead pixel issue as its coming from the USA I doubt the UK will offer me a warranty unless somone nows otherwise ?
I was looking at the Optoma H76 and the Infocus 7200
I know thes models are out of production now but would they be as good as the new LCD line up quality wise ?

Depends on each manufacturer. Before I went on holiday to Japan earlier this year I ontacted Sanyo UK to determine their warranty for overseas Z3's. They said they would cover the unit for 3 months fully and then a further 9 months parts only. They honoured this when Sanyo released a firmware upgrade and sent a courier to collect and return my upgraded Z3 free of charge. no dead pixels (I checked this in Japan).

Since you have a friend out there why not ask him to check for dead pixels. Can be done using a paper held in front of lens or obviously he can set up and test it fully.

HTH
sainthalo

PS The Z3 can be upgraded using filters to a Z3.5 :) - watching 720p material on this is a revelation to say the least!

thanks for the input.
I think its worth enquiring then with each supplier as Sanyop offered the warranty maybe others will.
Puts me back towards LCD now if thats the case AE900 or Z4
The advertsied contrast ratio of LCDs 7000:1 what is the actual ratio closer to then ?
dilema :)

I have decided to get a new projector after xmas because I got my email from amazon saying sorry to inform you no xbox 360 for xmas after I wiped away my tears I decided that as I would be using the xbox 360 to stream all HD content that I may aswell wiat until I get my 360 which wont be a bad thing as I bet after xmas the projector prices will drop again.
I have been reading lots of reviews regarding LCD VS DLP I currently have an infocus 4805 which for SD content is amazing value adn quality.
Most of the reviews are leaning towards the new LCD projs namely the AE900 and Z4 the review on projector central even says the the Z4 is on pay with the flagship H79.
At present I have narrowed it down to BenqPE8700 2500:1 model and the Sanyo Z4 judging from the reviews I think it looks like the Sanyo will be best vale for money anyone else have any opinions ?
I am hearing that the 7700 has bulb issues so thats why I am going for the later model 8700.

I'm guessing but I think the 8700 is a higher spec model vs the 7700 rather than a later model, hence the price difference between it and the Z4 may be significant...PJ

Oh right I assumed the 7700 was a newer model thanks for letting me know.
I can get the 8700 for around 1150 and the Z4 is more or less the same price in the USA now sure what the chepeast you can get each for in the UK as I havent looked to be honest.
whats your opnion on the z4 Vs 8700 ?

evolution400 said:
Oh right I assumed the 7700 was a newer model thanks for letting me know.
I can get the 8700 for around 1150 and the Z4 is more or less the same price in the USA now sure what the chepeast you can get each for in the UK as I havent looked to be honest.
whats your opnion on the z4 Vs 8700 ?

£1150 is amazingly cheap for the 8700 if my theory is correct! I thought the 7700 was around £1500!

Not seen either the 7700 or the 8700 I'm afraid. I have seen the Z4 up against the Themescene H79 which is a £3K DLP and the Z4 certainly "held its own"...PJ

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom