Projector upgrade: Sony VPL-VW790ES vs JVC DLNA-N7

Yeah, I know exactly what's not square, it's the screen, the corners aren't right angles so it makes a parallelogram instead of a rectangle. But I don't believe that's got anything to do with the focussing, as I said, I can take a bit of white card and move it all around the room and see how the focus changes in 3d space, and the right side is clear everywhere within 2m of the screen, at any angle, the left side is smeared within 2m of the screen.
Don't forget the plane of the screen to the wall needs to be perfectly square to the plane of the lens too. If the bottom left corner is a little further away, or closer to, the lens then the other side. You will get exactly what you are seeing.

Don't forget the plane of the screen to the wall needs to be perfectly square to the plane of the lens too. If the bottom left corner is a little further away, or closer to, the lens then the other side. You will get exactly what you are seeing.
Yep, that's why I measured the distance from the lens to each corner of the image. That proves the plane is perpenidcular to projector.

Yep, that's why I measured the distance from the lens to each corner of the image. That proves the plane is perpenidcular to projector.
Well I think that leaves you with trying it on another screen to rule out (or in) the optics. And then replacement if necessary.

So would you agree that, assuming the screen is flat..., that the projector shouldn't be looking like that and should be able to resolve to one pixel across the whole screen? If so then I should be pretty safe returning it and buying it for real, in the knowledge that this is just a duff one.

So would you agree that, assuming the screen is flat..., that the projector shouldn't be looking like that and should be able to resolve to one pixel across the whole screen? If so then I should be pretty safe returning it and buying it for real, in the knowledge that this is just a duff one.
Ideally it should be better than that. Are you using a lot of right lens shift at all (viewed from behind the projector)? If you stray too far out of the sweet spot on the lens with a lot of shift it will be pretty detrimental to focus at the peripheries of the screen.
If you buy a new one and it looks like that I would get it replaced. But if you get another with the exact same thing then the odds switch to your room being the culprit in some way. That is why you need to test it on another established screen somewhere if you can, as it would show you if the projector or your room/screen are at fault before committing cash.

Last edited:
Ideally it should be better than that. Are you using a lot of right lens shift at all (viewed from behind the projector)? If you stray too far out of the sweet spot on the lens with a lot of shift it will be pretty detrimental to focus at the peripheries of the screen.
If you buy a new one and it looks like that I wrote get it replaced. But if you get another with the exact same thing then the odds switch to your room being the culprit in some way. That is why you need to test it on another established screen somewhere if you can, as it would show you if the projector or your room/screen are at fault before committing cash.
Richer Sounds are in the process of rebuilding their demo room so I'm hoping they'll be able to see the same thing. I just never know what a company deems "within tolerance" after getting bitten by a vr headset with a single dead pixel in the middle of the screen that was very distracting but apparently within tolerance!

I'm using zero horizontal lens shift, the room was built for the purpose of being a theatre so I have all the cables coming out at the exact middle of the screen.

Update! I pulled the trigger and bought the projector, just plugged it in and the focus is uniform across the whole screen, so it was definitely a faulty one.

Update! I pulled the trigger and bought the projector, just plugged it in and the focus is uniform across the whole screen, so it was definitely a faulty one.
You were brave but congrats on a great projector. Good luck getting all the hdmi issues working correctly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom