Projector update dilema

Shinji Mikami

TW9400 sold !!! No turning back. First time since 2004 without PJ at home. Strange feelings : )

SONY XW5000 in pole position but still I could change my decision. What is sure a new PJ incoming.

maxbrooker

Just jumping in on this thread as I am looking to change my trusty Epson TW9300 too and was initially interested in the Sony XW5000, but without a powered lens and memory (for aspect switching with my scope screen) I was looking at a nearly new VPL-VW790es for a similar price. However, I'm now thinking one of my options could be a XW5000 with a used Lumagen Radiance Pro. The Lumagen could do my aspect switching and squeeze some extra PQ out of the PJ. But don't know whether to go for the Lumagen first and see what difference it make to the Epson in the interim. My budget certainly won't run to a WX6000.

A dillemma indeed.... keep us posted on the Sony, it'll be interesting to see how you get on and how it compares to the Epson.

Shinji Mikami

keep us posted on the Sony, it'll be interesting to see how you get on and how it compares to the Epson.

Tomorrow is June and the countdown begins. One week ago my dealer talked with SONY Europe and they promised him an XW5000ES in June but they cannot say "when exactly" but we expect before 15th. Tomorrow will ask him again.

One reason the XW5000 was delayed is about a firmware update. They don't want to launch it without the new firmware that they are wating for from SONY Japan. Once they do, they will launch it. The first unit that comes to my country, guaranteed to be mine. So I'm very happy : )

One month that I sold my TW9400 and with no PJ into my room. I hope news soon...

Apollo

Just jumping in on this thread as I am looking to change my trusty Epson TW9300 too and was initially interested in the Sony XW5000, but without a powered lens and memory (for aspect switching with my scope screen) I was looking at a nearly new VPL-VW790es for a similar price. However, I'm now thinking one of my options could be a XW5000 with a used Lumagen Radiance Pro. The Lumagen could do my aspect switching and squeeze some extra PQ out of the PJ. But don't know whether to go for the Lumagen first and see what difference it make to the Epson in the interim. My budget certainly won't run to a WX6000.

A dillemma indeed.... keep us posted on the Sony, it'll be interesting to see how you get on and how it compares to the Epson.
You may well find a Lumagen and XW5000 combo outperforms the XW6000 (if/when it arrives here) and even possibly the JVC NZ7 in a few areas (excluding black floor). That is assuming it has enough calibrated lumens for your screen and the difference in Iens quality is not too great.

Adding the Radiance Pro to my 360ES was one of the best upgrades I’ve ever done, like having a new projector. Totally transformed HDR from meh to great…and no need to fiddle with settings at all with the DTM.

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Tomorrow is June and the countdown begins. One week ago my dealer talked with SONY Europe and they promised him an XW5000ES in June but they cannot say "when exactly" but we expect before 15th. Tomorrow will ask him again.

One reason the XW5000 was delayed is about a firmware update. They don't want to launch it without the new firmware that they are wating for from SONY Japan. Once they do, they will launch it. The first unit that comes to my country, guaranteed to be mine. So I'm very happy : )

One month that I sold my TW9400 and with no PJ into my room. I hope news soon...
Very exciting :D

Shinji Mikami

Rumours are saying that XW5000 is delayed until September/October. Nothing official, just rumours. If it becomes true I will pick an JVC NP5. Can't wait untill September. Talking this days with my dealer about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom