Projector / TV / HDMI Problem

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've asked this in the TW7400 thread but may get some more help in the general forum as it may not be projector specific and I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm having an issue with the projector but this could be something to do with the HDMI lead.

I tried watching my fire stick today and it would not display on the TV. Figured I must have dislodged something when swapping the lead for my existing projector for a new 15m lead I have bought for the TW7400 but tried a number of things and could not for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working. Tried changing the HDMI lead which goes from my amp to the TV but wasn't that.

After trying lots of different things, I turned on the TW7400 and the fire stick home screen then appeared on my wall and came on the TV!!!

When I turned the projector off, it then cut the display the the TV.

I unplugged the new HDMI lead and plugged my existing one back in, turned on my existing projector and the TV still displayed an image, turned the projector off and the image on the TV remained!??!

Has anyone had this before and know what it could be? It's like the new HDMI is somehow interfering with the HDMI out to my TV and they are working in sync.

I have the Denon AVR-X4200W and for my HDMI out, Monitor 1 goes out to my TV and monitor 2 goes out to my projector.

This is the lead I bought from Amazon for the TW7400 - Amazon product ASIN B085HQSHFL
Any help appreciated.

Try firestick direct to tv/projector.

If it doesn't work, could be settings/software or broken firestick.

If it does work, troubleshoot amp.

Try firestick direct to tv/projector.

If it doesn't work, could be settings/software or broken firestick.

If it does work, troubleshoot amp.
I don’t think it’s the fire stick as that is fine with my other HDMI and I have the same problem with not displaying my boy-ray player on the TV, unless the projector is turned on.

it must be to do with the HDMI.

I've asked this in the TW7400 thread but may get some more help in the general forum as it may not be projector specific and I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm having an issue with the projector but this could be something to do with the HDMI lead.

I tried watching my fire stick today and it would not display on the TV. Figured I must have dislodged something when swapping the lead for my existing projector for a new 15m lead I have bought for the TW7400 but tried a number of things and could not for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working. Tried changing the HDMI lead which goes from my amp to the TV but wasn't that.

After trying lots of different things, I turned on the TW7400 and the fire stick home screen then appeared on my wall and came on the TV!!!

When I turned the projector off, it then cut the display the the TV.

I unplugged the new HDMI lead and plugged my existing one back in, turned on my existing projector and the TV still displayed an image, turned the projector off and the image on the TV remained!??!

Has anyone had this before and know what it could be? It's like the new HDMI is somehow interfering with the HDMI out to my TV and they are working in sync.

I have the Denon AVR-X4200W and for my HDMI out, Monitor 1 goes out to my TV and monitor 2 goes out to my projector.

This is the lead I bought from Amazon for the TW7400 - Amazon product ASIN B085HQSHFL
Any help appreciated.

I had the same problem, to solve it I had to program my harmony to select the amps ‘hdmi out‘ for every activity So it was either monitor 1 for the tv and monitor 2 for the projector. If you don’t have a harmony the only other way I know is manually selecting the hdmi out on the font of the amp. Hdmi out 1&2 will not work.

I had the same problem, to solve it I had to program my harmony to select the amps ‘hdmi out‘ for every activity So it was either monitor 1 for the tv and monitor 2 for the projector. If you don’t have a harmony the only other way I know is manually selecting the hdmi out on the font of the amp. Hdmi out 1&2 will not work.

Yeah I have a Harmony, thanks. I'll give re-programming it a go.

Yeah I have a Harmony, thanks. I'll give re-programming it a go.
I don't think harmony has that hdmi out toggle for my sr7012, I had to delete it and install an earlier marantz which did have that choice.
Annoying but doable.

I can't even recall how I set up my Harmony now it's been that long! Will have to dig out the box and instructions.

I can't even recall how I set up my Harmony now it's been that long! Will have to dig out the box and instructions.
I've got the 950 and hub, using the myharmony on the laptop. Think it's under activities- add command- select device then search for the relevant hdmi out and select it. Or something like that!.

On the amp you have to disable/unselected auto hdmi out, then On the amp remote you select which output you want.

On the amp you have to disable/unselected auto hdmi out, then On the amp remote you select which output you want.
Denon must be different to marantz then ?. It’s either hdmi out auto / 1 or 2, there is no disable that I’ve ever seen. Also there is no dedicated button on the marantz remote either, only on the front of the unit.

Denon must be different to marantz then ?. It’s either hdmi out auto / 1 or 2, there is no disable that I’ve ever seen. Also there is no dedicated button on the marantz remote either, only on the front of the unit.
I couldn't remember if it was a disable or a select but on the denon remote below the device buttons you can set the quick select to change output and device so if I press 1 I get sky and tv if I press 2 I get PJ and shield etc.

So having had a little time to think about this after the above replies, I think I've figured it out.

I have a HDMI lead from my Denon to my Benq W1070 (using Monitor 2) and bought a new lead which I used to connect the Denon to the Epson TW7400. I just took the old HDMI lead out and plugged the new one in but my Harmony remote will still be working as programmed with the Benq, so I am going to need to re-programme it with the Epson aren't I?

Please could you talk me through how you did this? I can't see anything where I can set the amp's HDMI out.

I've reprogrammed everything and the TV still won't work unless the projector is also turned on.

Please could you talk me through how you did this? I can't see anything where I can set the amp's HDMI out.

I've reprogrammed everything and the TV still won't work unless the projector is also turned on.
What AVR do you have ?. I had to change my AVR to an earlier model which had the harmony hdmi out commands needed. I then just added hdmi out 1 or 2 ( tv or pj) to each activity.

What AVR do you have ?. I had to change my AVR to an earlier model which had the harmony hdmi out commands needed. I then just added hdmi out 1 or 2 ( tv or pj) to each activity.

I have the Denon AVR-X4200W.

I have a Denon AVR - X3600H feeding video into LG OLED 65 G1 TV and a Epson EH TW9400 PJ. I had the same problem...drove me nuts! It seems the Denon is very sensitive to different HDMI EDIDs (handshakes) when using the 'Auto' output setting which duplicates the video signal between outputs. I found two ways to solve the problem. 1) Switch between Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 on the Output settings (rather than auto) which was less than slick or 2) Buy a HD Fury Vertex (I picked one up on ebay at a snip) to manage the EDID settings and fool the Denon. No problems switching between TV and PJ now!

So a HDMI splitter you mean? That’s a pain and just more money but might be the only way, unless I can use an earlier model on my Harmony like @panman40 suggested.

The Vertex is a bit more than just a HDMI splitter. The Denon's seem very sensitive to different displays. It recognises them via their unique identifier (EDID) and the Vertex can solve these difference issues by providing any EDID you choose. Good luck!

The Vertex is a bit more than just a HDMI splitter. The Denon's seem very sensitive to different displays. It recognises them via their unique identifier (EDID) and the Vertex can solve these difference issues by providing any EDID you choose. Good luck!

OK thanks, which one did you buy?

is it easy enough to use and set up?

Vertex 4K 60 4.4.4 600MHZ
I picked it up on ebay. It's an amazing bit of kit. If you get one, try the auto mix setting first it may well solve your annoying problem. The Vertex website and support page is superb. If you have any problems they will sort it for you.

I have had this issue with various Denon and Marantz amp\processors. I use the quick select button to get around the issue, for sky on tv I setup quick select 1 with the output from HDMI 1 and if using the projector use quick select 2 which i have set to use HDMI 2 as the output.

There are only 4 quick select buttons so you can only do this directly for 2 sources, but using a harmony remote it is easy to program a source change after the quick select button so it can work for multiple sources.

I wonder if some of this is a HDMI handshake as HDMI connects in a similar way to a network connection always communicating with each producing the customary "hello, who are you" message and maybe when one of the devices isn't sending the right information when in it's off/standby status compared to when its powered on. It could also be something to do with the hierarchy of the products and how the other products see them

I would make sure that all the CEC features are switched off on all devices to see if that stops any of the issues, but I do feel that its more of a handshake issue between the components in the same why as to how sometimes people have to turn devices on in a certain process in order to get things to work. It's extremely frustrating as it's usually a tiny software bug that need an update, so double check the software is up to date on all your devices and see if that resolves it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom