1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector to replace TV for everything?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Toekiller, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Currently running a Sony RPTV KP48PS1. Not bad but I've got it in my head to go bigger.

My main question is as the thread title. Are projectors ( £2.5k ) good enough in normal light conditions?

I'm a little concerned about replacing the bulb once a year. 2000 hours doesn't seem alot, if used as a normal TV.

I'm looking to sit about 12ft - 14ft away from the screen. 100" 's possible?

The Panny AE100 seems to be raved about on here and for 600 quid seems a bargain. Also noticed the new NEC1100 was announced. What are you getting for your extra £2000. Is it really worth it?

Need to connect a DVD, SKY Plus, Xbox and PC. Also I want to to be compatible with Blueray for HDTV if I'm going to spend 2.5k.

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The Panny AE100 really needs close to complete lights out to look it's best.

I would imagine that you would need a projector that chucks out a least 1500 lumens or more to look viable in daylight conditions. You have to remember. If your watching a nighttime scene in a film. The darkest black you will be able to see is equal to the lowest light level your projector can send our plus the ambient light in that room. You have direct sunlight streaming into the room, even with a super bright projector, the image will still look washed out.

If you get some light control going; curtains etc... then your laughing.

3. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm.

THinking about it I have come up with another solution. Put the projector on my RPTV to throw the picture onto the opposite wall.

That way I use the TV as background noise, News etc and the Projector for the big Sky Programmes ( Films, Football, Alias, Stargate for instance ), DVD's and the XBOX.

I would just have to turn a chair around for a projector session.

Thats the only real solution I can see without getting rid of the TV. It's too tall to throw a picture above it.

The room is my living room btw.

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could do what I did, have a pull down screen that comes down in front of the old TV when required ;)

-- Jon

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd agree with previous posts - some projectors can cope with mild ambient light (provided none is falling directly on the screen surface of the screen) but for best results comlete light control - full lackout, is best.

I wouldn't recommend using a projector as a replacement for a TV - the need for blackout is awkward, and I don't think the main crop of hc projectors are designed for extended use (depends on your tv viewing habits). You should check out Calibos (and others) thread about heat damage.

Depends on which pj you choose, but it sounds do-able - you could check projector-central.com for throw distance calculations - they're noat always accurate btw, but would do as a guide.

Can't comment on the NEC - but you should decide how much you have to spend, really try to see some projectors in
    that budget and make up your own mind whether the additional money in the price of one over the other is worth it to you, 'cause you're the one spending the money.

Have a tour through the FAQ at the top of the forum - lots of useful info there.

Sean G.

6. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for your advice guys.

7. HeadStAtE!

HeadStAtE!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Panasonic 100 for a TV replacement, in my apartment the light rarely shines directly in at very intense levels so it more than watchable even in summer without blinds, but it still best with the light restricted. I only watch about 3 hours of TV a day though.

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the new NEC HT1100 has the new widescreen WXVGA(ish) resolution 'Mustang' chip ie 1280 x 720 pixels.

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the few days that I have the PJ (PLV-Z1), I have been able to watch TV with no problems during the day (Motorsport is particularly cool :D).

I don't have to black out very much at all, but I have quite a dark house - I guess it depends, from room to room.