Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Projector throw.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sounddog, Jun 5, 2003.

1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    We're toying with the idea of selling our 32" flatscreen, and getting a cheep small telly and a projector.

The problem is that we can't mount a proj on the ceiling, and prefer to have something permanently mounted.

We were thinking of mounting it on the wall behind where we sit, projecting to the wall opposite ... the only problem is the distance.

Looking at the Panasonic PTAE100 ... it says it can display a 40" picture at 1.2m upto a 200" picture at 7.4m. From one end of the room to the other is approximately 5m ... so what size picture could we expect. Ideally we want about 80" (diagonal).

Thanks
    Vikki

Just realised didn't actually ask a question ... so the two real questions are ...

With a PTAE100 ... (1) what size picture would we get from just under 5m away ... and (2) how far from the screen would it have to be to get a 80" picture.

Also I assume it's best to try to get the projector aligned to the centre of the screen so we don't have to use keystone adjustment?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Take a look at the projection calculator over at http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm Feed in the throw or screen size and it will give you all the info you need.

Done a quick check and a 5m (16.25ft) throw will give you a diagonal screen size of 135-166inches

To get an 80inch horizontal image it will need to be between 9.0 and 11.1 ft away.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    that is so useful!!

Thanks a lot.

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    but don't take it as gospel... best try and find somebody who has an AE100 (no problem on this forum ;-) and get them to check :)

PJCentral is sometimes wrong...

5. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some other projectors have much longer throw distances, as it makes for a better picture, so you may be able to find one that suits your needs, if you hunt around.

Is there any particular reason why it can't be ceiling mounted? It's fairly easy to do, looks far better, keeps everything out the way and means you can choose the ideal position for the throw.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Yeah ... cause we don't own the house.

Don't think the land lord would like us screwing a projector to the central beam.

Vikki

7. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ah. Good point....

Well - you can also buy special little projector stands that you can sit behind the seating position, to bring the projector closer to the screen - that may well be your best option, considering the room length.

8. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm in a similar dilemma with a 6.5m room.

I'll probably go for the Sony HS-10, which has a longer throw than the Panny.

I might even need to get a long-throw lense to shrink the picture to a more acceptable size.

9. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Panny AE100 and have it mounted on the wall just above my head. I used a spare speaker wall bracket and that seems to work well and looks nice.

As far as the throw distance goes I have the PJ about 10.5ft away from a 6ft screen and (although the throw calculator suggested this would be fine) the picture is slightly too big for the screen.

Its not much so I'm not really bothered but I guess my only option is to get a bigger screen??

Was thinking about getting an electric screen anyway :confused:

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Throw distance doesn't make for a better picture it makes for having to place the projector further away from a specific sized screen than you would with a short throw projecter. A better picture comes from 'sitting' farther from the screen.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, a better picture comes from a better projector :p

Have I mentioned the HS10's looooooooong throw?

:)

12. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Yeah but Kramer ... isn't the HS10 about £2500 ... we were looking at below £1000.

Vikki

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have it on good authority that there's an excellent (pixel perfect :eek: ) HS10 with CC40R + 10m DVI cable included, calibrated/tweaked for sale somewhere for £1750 (delivered) :eek:

Man, if I was only in the market for a new PJ :)

14. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually, the shorter the throw, the bigger the possability of the image being distorted, especially at the edges. The longer the throw, the less chance of this happening. Therefore; longer throw makes for a better picture.

15. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would question your logic Mr Bump. Half of us are nitpickers about the slightest little thing here. Its funny that never has anyone posted about crappy PJ short throw/long throw lenses distorting the picture. Why? Cause they don't, not by any visible meaningful amount. What does have a dramatic affect on percieved PQ is the distance you sit from the screen. Up closer you see picture noise, digital artifacts, chicken wire, pixel structure. The farther back you sit the less these are visible. Hence people saying things like. "I recommend sitting 2xscreen width back from the screen with this PJ" etc

16. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer - You have priv message :hiya:

17. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Been having a rethink and our room just makes most projectors impossible to accomodate :(

So we're looking at possibly the X1.

Our two issues ... well there maybe more issues but I can't think of them as I type this ... is (1) it seams quite noisy at 37dB, and (2) is the "Rainbow" issue. Both seam to be to be more personal issues ... so does anyone know anywhere around the Leicester area (Nottingham / Derby / etc) where we could demo one.

And also does anyone have any other comments to make ... "don't touch one with a barge pole" is very useful so long as it's true.

Vikki