1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector throw ratio problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by johnar, Jan 18, 2005.

1. johnar

johnar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to position my pj 25 ft away from my screen and I need the screen image to have a width of 5 to 6 foot.

Any suggestions, as most projectors have a throw ratio which is well below this?

Thanks
    johnar

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    sim2 are long throw and some higher models have lens options

3. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

The longest throw ratio of the Sim2 projs. is 3.1:1 i.e. at 25ft your screen would have to be 8ft wide .

You are looking for a throw ratio of 4.16:1 to 5:1 .

The only projs. I can think of that would do these distances are the three chippers :eek: ( circa. £20000 ).

You don't say whether you want a LCD or DLP projector.

I think you'll have to either, move the projector forward into the room or, go for a bigger screen ;) go on, you know you want to :smashin:

Regards,

Stan.

4. johnar

johnar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stan;
    Thanks for your swift reply, and the previous, the difficulty is that I built a 30 seat cinema some years back for private and family showing using 8mm and 16mm cine and to the rear a purpose built projection booth with all lighting, dimming, curtain,changeover controls and all audio/amp controls in order to simulate as near as possible a 50s/60s cinema. The hall is some 25ft by 13ft with the booth,10x10,completely seperate physically and sound insulated. I throw to the screen which is presently 5'x4' thro glass covered portholes (would this be a problem),it would not be possible to easily increase the screen size as the proscenium arch,curtains etc were made to the present screen. I am very impressed with the ,few, pjs I have seen and with the cost of cine films, and their durability, I think a change of media if practical, would be a good idea. As to the pj itself cost of course is important but as a new boy any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thank you, Roger---

5. Sweep

Sweep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think sjb maybe right with the 3 chippers

Have you thought of trying Infocus?
    I know that for their 777 model they offer an ULTRA long zoom (Lens - 031) option.
    Over a 25 ft throwing distance that would give you:

Min width 53.571" Max 83.333"
    Min Hight 30.133" Max 46.874"
    Min Diag 61.464" Max 95.611"

It maybe worth contacting Infocus or their UK improter CSC to see if they offer this option to their current 4805, 5700 or 7205 models? Just a thought

Failing that, maybe a larger plasma....not the same I know.....

Sweep

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Barco start at 7k but have lens options... Also could consider commercial models as they have a longer throw.....Sanyo PLV70 has long throw 4.25:1 option....LNS-T31A its also a nice bright unit with 1366x768 panel

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    johnar

The NEW Panasonic PT-D5500E Single Chip DLP is one option - your looking at around £4.7K for the Projector and £1.5K for a long throw lens.

With the ET-DLE300 lens you can achieve a 6' wide 16:9 image with a throw distance from 23.02' up to 35.94'.

Usually when projecting through glass you set the glass at forty five degrees to the plane of the lens.

Best regards

Joe