Projector throw ratio 5 - does it exist?

allant2009

Novice Member
I am looking for a projector with a high throw ratio 5-6. I am wanting to project from a distance of 2,700mm and want a screen size of 500mm wide. Does such a projector exist?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Are those measurements correct as 500mm is only 20" and at that point a small TV would do a better job anyway

allant2009

Novice Member
Are those measurements correct as 500mm is only 20" and at that point a small TV would do a better job anyway
Yes that right. I know it’s small but it’s in a spot where I can’t really fit a tv so if I could project onto the wall instead that would work well.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you are hoping for detail, then you may find that you struggle as the brightness may remove most of that due to the surface area you are projector on. I just feel its not a good idea.

I know a few of the projectors when testing them, I used to reduce the image to its smallest and it was always quite poor and seemed a little pointless

To give you an idea, at just 20 inches over a distance of just 1.42m the Epson EH-TW9400 produces 4,250 nits (according to Projector Central). So you can see your dilemma of what you are going to fight with as increasing the screen size by just half reduces this to 1,356 nits for the same distance

allant2009

Novice Member
If you are hoping for detail, then you may find that you struggle as the brightness may remove most of that due to the surface area you are projector on. I just feel its not a good idea.

I know a few of the projectors when testing them, I used to reduce the image to its smallest and it was always quite poor and seemed a little pointless

To give you an idea, at just 20 inches over a distance of just 1.42m the Epson EH-TW9400 produces 4,250 nits (according to Projector Central). So you can see your dilemma of what you are going to fight with as increasing the screen size by just half reduces this to 1,356 nits for the same distance
Where I want the screen there is no power supply but right across from it there is so I figured a projector would be a good solution. I’m not looking for a cinematic experience to to have something on when cooking etc. Do you think it could be achieved to an acceptable level.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I feel that you are just wasting your time in trying to achieve this which is quite unusual from me as I usually feel there is always a way, but in this instance, I just cannot see the point. Even a nasty cheap TV will outperform it I suspect and you are just fighting a loosing battle. Why are you unable to place a small TV on the other wall where the power is?

If you really must have the TV where you want it, you may find its just as expensive as asking an electrician to run you a new feed to that point with a nice cheap TV than going to the effort of adding a projector which remember won't have any sound and if it does, that will be at the opposite end of the room

Last edited:

allant2009

Novice Member
Yeah I did feel it was a bit of a long shot. I don’t have a power supply available on the wall where I would want the screen and i don’t want to be running cables to get power there. I’ll just get a tablet I think….probably easier. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Me either until I did a search. Like I said, I enjoy a challenge and usually there is always a way, but in your instance, projector isn't it, but this might be :smashin: Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom