1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

projector that works on thin air!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cybersoga, Sep 16, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, lasers work in free air. Look at all the light shows at concerts and the like so I guess it is technically possible. I have to ask why though when you look at that site.

OOh, yes please. I want a virtual globe spinning above my desktop that I can 'grab'.

3. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Maybe if they came out with Jenna Jamieson material for these machines i might be interested !:D :eek: :D

4. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are kack!! I have worked on several ways to achieve this effect and the resolution is awful. A major collaboration between DERA and Ford have a very good display but limited by pure computer processing power as pixel counts are well into the billions!!

One day...

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It's a variation on the "projecting on to a fog screen" idea. No physical screen, but instead it generates a cloud of mist that acts as a reflective surface for the projected image.

This type of technology has a couple of limitations at the moment. The first is the very tight viewing angle. As you go more off axis the brightness drops away and the image becomes more blurred. The other issue is how to generate and control a mist screen so that it's big enough for a decent sized image without making the room feel like you're trapped in a 1950's London smog.

It's an interesting idea but its got some way to go before it becomes commercially actractive for home use.