Projector technologies which compete with OLED

AudioAnt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the simple question, I haven't been looking at AV tech for quite a while now...
What are the projector technologies which compete with OLED? What's the "equivalent" in the projector world?

What's the current feeling in the market, what gives you a better viewing experience (cost to value) between TV and projector at the roughly £2500 mark?

thanks in advance.

I think it depends on what you mean by viewing experience. To me, it's quite a different experience between the two.

I use the projector for everything but the "experience" isn't necessarily great if you just want something on in the background / news / similar - it becomes an "event" and you're more or less dedicated to watching the screen.

It's perfect for things like sport / movies etc. where you want to be immersed. It's unbeatable (for me) watching the F1 / Rugby / Football with friends. Movie nights are great and binge watching Netflix etc. is also perfect.

The quality of the picture will depend on the room (light control, layout / space), projector, screen etc. I just have a budget projector and poor lighting / decor. The quality of the image in terms of blacks, colours etc. is going to be miles away from an OLED but the experience of a very large screen is better (for me, in the right circumstances) - if you see what I mean.

I've been told that the Epson 7300 / 9300 is a big step forward in terms of picture quality from what I'm used to (and it should be for the difference in price). For me, you get more of an experience with the projector.

Hope that helps in some way.

If your situated in the Northwest of England, you can pop into our showroom and see both the Epson and Optoma projectors in action to see with your own eyes at to the quality you can get for that kind of price. We do have a large Samsung TV's (none OLED though) to give you an idea of what the simple differences are.

I would always say that a projector is for the experience that a TV can never reproduce whereas the TV will work in many more room conditions, so in reality, the Projector is a seen as luxury compared to a stand alone TV.

If you only have one room and its your main living room, then the best option is to have a reasonable TV and again a good quality projector so you can flick between the two. The TV for all the boring stuff and the Projector to excite you with everything else.

To get anywhere near oled black it can only be a JVC. Better still if it's a newish mid tier model like an x750 or later.

I have an older generation x500 in a good room and I'd say it's about on par with my Sony x900 TV for black level.

Prior to that I had a Sony hw40 and that looked similar to my previous 5 yr old, cheapish Sharp LCD.

Kinda wonder as well what to choose for future shopping.

Curently in my old apartment (where we still live) I have old 42" panasonic plasma tv and 85" projection screen with epson tw3500 - both old, full hd set up that needs upgrading when we move, hopefully in May.

To be honest big screen in comparison to small tv is no match, always go for bigger. The only problem is picture quality ofcourse.. and here is where it gets tricky.

Since late summer i have been browsing for best price/performance big 4k screen, rather lcd tv, oled tv or pj. And now im considering buying 85" sony 85XF lcd tv or pj sony VW260 - they are both in "same" price range around 5000€. But when it comes to picture quality I have no idea which one to choose.. i just know that watching news on 85" screen is very very weird for me and Im afraid that buying 85" tv will not give me the satisfaction that it should.

.. comparing this two picturewise is mystery to me, if someone has any suggestions please comment.

Thanks

A 2 display setup is best I think. Get a decent TV for watching the regular stuff and a decent projector like the JVC x570 and you can enjoy both. If you use a pj for all of your viewing, it will lose it's impact overtime, same with a huge TV. I watch most stuff, including Netflix on my TV and use the pj for Blu-ray or good streaming movies only. Then each time fire it up, it's still special.

as others have said - got to be a 2 display set up. I have a panasonic 4k TV and i have an elctric screen that comes down in front of that with a JVC x7500 projector for rugby and movies etc

Hm got to agree with that, when I think about it. But couple of second thoughts I would like to point out.

1. Big 85" TV has huge wow factor and it looks sublime! And it looks "cleaner" in the room.
2. Missis is not a fan or lets say she has trouble accepting, projector screen mount for retracting el.screen on living room front wall and big pj on back wall.
3. Loosing emersing effect with only one display - as described in comments above
4. Comparison between lcd-oled and PJ is not clear to me, regarding cons/pros and overall picture quality

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom