Projector sound issue

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pat clancy, Dec 24, 2017.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi chaps ,I've just delved in to the world of a projector and im very impressed.
    It's second hand, sanyo z2 720 p.
    My setup was laptop to Sony homecinema then Sony to tv using hdmi, all was fine 5.1 etc .
    Now I've replaced tv with projector,I get a picture ok but no sound through my Sony system. The sound only comes out of the laptop speaker.
    I'm using a dvi to hdmi on the projector.
    Before I could see the Sony as default on my laptop ,but when I connect the projector I can only see the laptop speaker.
    Any ideas, would it be something to do with hdcp?

2. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,033
  3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    See if there is a setting on the Sony amp so that it is Amp only, not Amp & TV.

As DVI does not usually support audio within the DVI standard, the projector is not requesting audio from the source. Setting the amp to Amp only should force the source to send audio irrespective of the final device.

DISCLAIMER: I have found this to be very hit and miss, so you may need to run an audio cable from the laptop to the Sony amp and select the alternative audio input. This may require an external soundcard to give you either an optical or digital output of 5.1 and you may need to play with the delay settings on the amp as well. This all depends on your Sony Home cinema and its capabilities. Which one have you got?

4. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for that
    Hi its the Sony Htis100

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    Make sure the HDMI control is set to OFF.
    The manual warns against using an HDMI - DVI adapter and I think this is your issue. You will only get stereo, but you can assign an analogue audio input instead of the HDMI. If this works, then look at getting a cheap digital output for your PC.

6. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    All your help appreciated, analogue didn't work ,I'm now using my satellite box as a media player ,component for video and a phono lead for coaxial 5.1 ,I'm amazed a thin old phono would sound so good, even for stereo.