Question Projector + Sound bar + media sources

crashkup

Standard Member
I am trying to figure out how to connect my outputs (blu-ray, cable box, computer) to both a projector and a sound bar.

I have an Epson 5030Ub and a Yamaha Soundbar (YAS-203). Until recently I had surround sound speakers and a receiver and such – but now, and for the next year or so I have a sound bar and a smaller, non-dedicated room. As I sit down with it all I realize my receiver doesn’t fit into the new setup (it only has surround sound speaker outputs). I’m not sure what to do. Each media output needs to send video to the projector at the back of the room and audio to the speakers up front. There are no inputs on the cable box, no outputs on the sound bar… how does one do this?

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Not a great combination of kit - the YAS-203 is designed to sit below a TV with your Sources connected to the TV via HDMI and then an Optical Out from the TV to the Soundbar.

There may be a way to use your AVR as a Source Switch - you don’t say which model you have!

If replacing the YAS-203 is not an option you will require a suitable Switch between the Source kit and the YAS-203 (Optical) and the Projector (HDMI).

https://tmfsolutions.co.uk/product/uhd41-arc/

Joe

crashkup

Standard Member
Joe, Thanks. I'm afraid my AVR (ONKYO HTRC360) is built only to output to a surround speakers setup. The AVR optical is an in, not an out. I think I can return the YAS-203. I'm going to take a look at that.

I was trying to avoid setting up 6 speakers in a smallish room for a 1 year situation and having wires running everywhere. A sound bar seemed like a good way out -- but having never had one I didn't realize how limited they are input-wise. Maybe the switch you mention, or maybe a return and a new approach. If you have any suggestions on a better approach without the YAS 203, I'm very curious.

Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom