Projector 'shelf' ceiling mount ?.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by panman40, Apr 3, 2016.

1. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,243
    Just wondering if there are any Shelves that can be used to fix to the ceiling that will enable a projector to be used on its feet rather than upside down ?, I can see there's several shelves available that fix to a back wall etc but not hand from the ceiling.

Also what's the general consensus about the peerless PRG UNV ceiling mount V the Vogals PPC 1500 ?.

Thanks.

Martin.

2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    I have no experience of the PRG UNV, but do have a Vogels PPC1500. Aesthetically nice compact mount; tilt axis aren't very smooth running I find, though you only set it up once. No cable management facilities. I'm happy with it for now but I might consider upgrading if I move to a JVC as it would be right on the weight limit.

3. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    Hi Martin
    I bought a PRG when I changed my Sony to the JVC, and I find it very good. It would be better if the precision adjustments were in all 3 axes, but it's nice and solid once set up. I chose it because the legs are long enough to accommodate the large JVC mounting hole distances, but also because it has the 1.5NPT fitting which allows a huge choice of columns if you need a drop from ceiling like I do (I believe th Vogels is a Vogels-specific column size). I managed to bag the Peerless cheaply off Amazon at the time, and I almost bought another one (it was the other colour) off eBay the other day until the seller cancelled the sale.

(I have also got a spare upper half (in black), but not the lowered part which has the legs high attach to the PJ, but if you happened to find the lower part I would gladly let you have the upper part).

4. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,243
    Hi mate,
    Sounds great, I thought the swivel was adjustable by 15 degrees also ?, if not I'm guessing the top part fitted to the ceiling needs to be absoloutely spot on perpendicular to the screen ?, that could be tricky!.
    It sounds like this could be the better upgrade to my cheap mount for future projectors though especially carrying a little more weight,

Once all setup is there a lock of some kind so that plugging in a cable or dusting etc does not knock it out of position ?.

Cheers, Martin.

5. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    There is indeed rotation adjustment, but it's not a precision adjuster on that axis, so it's a case of line up manually and then tighten the screw (if it's at bottom of a column then there's no limit to the degree of adjustment, of course). It all locks into place, so you'd have be ham-fisted to knock it out of kilt.

As I might have said before, for smaller/lighter PJs (including the Sony HW40) my preferred mount was the Premier Mounts EXT/Nova, and whilst they're still available, all the cheaper stock sold a while back. I have still got one of those up in loft as well (albeit the one I sprayed white, badly, but that could easily be reverted back to the black powder coat). They don't do long arms on them, and they are not a precision adjustment mount, but very solid all the same.

6. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,243
    Cheers for that, plenty to think about now. I need something with some drop but not much if that makes sense, I see the peerless is about 97-122mm or so, I think I would like a tiny bit more than that but the idea of fine tune for tilt both ways is appealing, my 2 thumb screw method for all 3 ways is a nightmare!.
    The other thing is I glued some small coving over my ceiling plate and bolts.... If I could adapt something onto the short tube that comes down it would be ideal, if not it's going to be messy.

I suppose when I get something I should make sure I can do the Sony with 3 legs and a JVC with 4 so I'm covered in future.

Does the peerless do both and can you PM me a pic of the extension you have in place please sometime?.

Cheers.

7. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    The (fixed) extension column I am using is a Chief 6", fitted into a Chief CMS115W ceiling plate (like this, they do them in black as well). I originally bought a 9" extension column as it had cable tidy holes in it (still got that as well), whereas the 6" doesn't, but because you can route the cables through the top plate and down through the Peerless PRG, coupled with the fact that there is enough lens shift on the JVC, I used the 6" column instead (which has the added advantage that I no longer need to stoop under the PJ).

Peerless do 1.5" columns also in black, and they used to do 2 ceiling plates, one a round one (which I think they still do), and the other a compact rectangle (which I don't think they sell anymore).

I will PM some pics tonight.