Projector Setup Help (distances and all)

projguy2020

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently moved into a new house and I want to set up a projector in the living room.
So I have an LG HU70LA 4K projector and the size my livingroom is about 18ft give or take. I want to set up the projector by the far wall but about a foot away from it, and the projector to be mounted about 15-16 feet from where the screen will be. I tried using a screen calculator I found on google, but not sure how to understand the numbers on there. The livingroom is a bright living room since I have a whole wall dedicated to sliding doors which come out to a lanai, but thats about 16ft of window/door, so it has some light, so not sure what is needed to make things work...
The width of the wall where I want to mount the project is about 155" give or take...

My question are:
- What kind of screen would I need to get?
- What size of the screen I would need to get?
- What is a good screen to get?
- What kind of ceiling mount projector is good and adjustable?
- Will my distance between projector and screen be alright?

Hope someone with some experience in this can chime in and help :)

Mount the projector. Project a picture at the wall. Adjust til you’re happy with the size, live with it for a few days to make sure you’re happy. Then order the screen. Grey screen works best in a bright room.

Hi All,

I recently moved into a new house and I want to set up a projector in the living room.
So I have an LG HU70LA 4K projector and the size my livingroom is about 18ft give or take. I want to set up the projector by the far wall but about a foot away from it, and the projector to be mounted about 15-16 feet from where the screen will be. I tried using a screen calculator I found on google, but not sure how to understand the numbers on there. The livingroom is a bright living room since I have a whole wall dedicated to sliding doors which come out to a lanai, but thats about 16ft of window/door, so it has some light, so not sure what is needed to make things work...
The width of the wall where I want to mount the project is about 155" give or take...

My question are:
- What kind of screen would I need to get?
- What size of the screen I would need to get?
- What is a good screen to get?
- What kind of ceiling mount projector is good and adjustable?
- Will my distance between projector and screen be alright?

Hope someone with some experience in this can chime in and help :)

The first aspect of projection that needs to be understood is that projectors are dark room devices. If the light can't be controlled then get a TV and sit closer.
Besides ambient light from windows or light fixtures, light reflected by the walls themselves will have a negative effect on the image.
Room treatment is recommended.

Secondly, I don't know how you decided on this projector. It's not particularly good IMO. It has poor blacks. And not that bright. Certainly not for a screen of the one you want to have, which is 177.8 in diagonal (16:9).

Projectors have a specification called throw ratio which tells you how far away they can be relative to the screen.
This unit has between 1.22 – 1.53 throw ratio.
To calculate the screen width divide the lentgh (projector lens to screen) to a value between the two values listed above.
So if you have a placement position of 15.5' (186"), divided by 1.22 results in a screen with a width of 152". Or 174" diagonal. That is a big screen.
Increasing the throw ratio will exceed the allocated room for the screen.

This calculator is accurate for dimensions.
The position of the projector relative to the screen must also be noted. This model does not have any lens shift.

A screen size should only be chosen after the projector has been used for a while on the wall.
A very general ratio is 10-12" (often more) in diagonal for every foot in distance.

So before going any further,

Can blackout blinds be installed on the windows?

Can the room be treated?

What is the source?

What are the uses? Movies, TV, sports, games?

Can you do DIY?

What is the budget?

I will be purchasing faux wood blinds for the 4-door slider in the livingroom to combat the light.
Now, you say that the HU70LA is not the best model, what would be better compared to it. Just want to know so I can perhaps return this one since i'm still within 30 days and pick up something else thats better.

Please advise

I will be purchasing faux wood blinds for the 4-door slider in the livingroom to combat the light.
Now, you say that the HU70LA is not the best model, what would be better compared to it. Just want to know so I can perhaps return this one since i'm still within 30 days and pick up something else thats better.

Please advise

It would be helpful to answer the questions above to narrow down the right unit.

Can blackout blinds be installed on the windows? - YES

Can the room be treated? - TREATED FOR/WITH WHAT? Blackouts will be installed.

What is the source? - Source of what? Light? Windows mainly. Source for projector, would be Tivo and/or Amazon Fire.

What are the uses? Movies, TV, sports, games? - Mainly TV/Movies...some gaming, but not much of a gamer, but would prefer to have a future proof projector if I am replacing the HU70LA

Can you do DIY? - I can if needed, but I'd prefer not to.

What is the budget? - Projector itself would be around 1600, a few hundred on other things if needed (projector screen/mount, etc.)

Can blackout blinds be installed on the windows? - YES

Can the room be treated? - TREATED FOR/WITH WHAT? Blackouts will be installed.

What is the source? - Source of what? Light? Windows mainly. Source for projector, would be Tivo and/or Amazon Fire.

What are the uses? Movies, TV, sports, games? - Mainly TV/Movies...some gaming, but not much of a gamer, but would prefer to have a future proof projector if I am replacing the HU70LA

Can you do DIY? - I can if needed, but I'd prefer not to.

What is the budget? - Projector itself would be around 1600, a few hundred on other things if needed (projector screen/mount, etc.)

As it's noted in the second post, wall reflections are also a problem, and it's recommended to treat the room. With dark paints or fabrics. The most important areas is closest to the screen, around 6' or so, incuding ceiling, floor, and screen wall.

You can't really future proof with that budget. It's debatable if you can future proof with any budget.

How far away is the seating position, or is it variable?

In the 2nd post I also mentioned a general ratio for screen diagonal and distance.

If the room can't be treated and or for improved picture quality a smooth wall or a white screen can be painted.
There are a few paint mixes, best way to go about this is to create a thread here:
After Wednesday though, the forum is in maintanance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom