1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Set-up

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by karl, Jan 16, 2003.

1. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m just about to purchase a Sanyo z1 or Sony HS10.

Given the layout of my room the PJ will have to sit on a coffee table between us and the screen.

There will not normally be a table there so when it`s PJ time I will have to place the projector on the table. I will be able to keep the leads in place behind the sofa and just pull them out and plug them in.

Is it easy to size / square the image each time. I will be able to (discreetly - says wife) mark the floor so I should be able to place it almost at the same point each time.

Anybody else have a similar set up ? How easy is it ?

Thanks

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    Once you've got it right once, you should find it pretty easy.

Whilst the HS10 is clearly a superior PJ, if it's between you and the screen you need to consider the lense throw - I think the HS10 has a medium throw lense, whereas the Z1 has a short throw (which may be more ideal).

Of course you may have already considered this;)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Karl,

Confirming Smurfin's reply - I lived with this kind of arrangement for a couple of months and its no problem - there'll be enough adjustment capability to do without marking the floor or anything like that. Although the HS10 is better than the Z1 from the point of view of higher resolution and picture quality, it would probably not suit due to the throw distance - you need to check the throw distance available to you (distance between projector and screen) you'll find a throw distance calculator at Projectorcentral.com for almost any projector - input the throw distance and it'll give you the screen sizes that you'll end up with.

The Sanyo Z1 has probably got the most adaptability for this kind of situation, with the ability to project off axis, as well as having a reasonably short throw distance. The Panasonic AE100 is still a great entry level projector, but is now outclassed by Z1 in resolution and other capabilities (Oooooh it hurt to say that !.:blush: )

After a while you may get fed up of unpacking the projector and setting it up each time you want to watch something - I got fed up of it pretty quick !;)

All the best,

Sean G.

4. karl

karl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps.

Does anybody else make do with a temporary set-up or do you all have them permanently "plumbed in" ?

Cheers

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    plumbed in

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Most definitely plumbed in - a couple of remote presses (to be one when I abandon a load of remotes for one !) and you're watching movies ! Also no more telling my daughters (over an over) "don't trip on the wires" which snaked straight across the living room floor. The number of times I visualised the projector hitting the deck because of a swift moving human Uuuughhhhh!

Only way to go, imo.

Sean G.