Question Projector seems killing HDMI ports

Kaspars

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have Benq W2700 projector which is causing me a headache and unwanted expenses.
It seems I have a surge problem on HDMI cable generated by projector when it is turned on.

Projector is connected to different mains socket and 15m HDMI hybrid optical cable, when it works I have no complaints - HDR 4K 60fps goes through.

1) In 1st instance AVR receiver secondary output was damaged where projector was connected, I thought it was because of 10m passive HDMI cable.
2) After 1st incident I purchased cheap 2-port HDMI switch and, this seem to survive. I was manually switching over from TV to projector.
3) Next I purchased Blustream HDMI splitter with scalling as myTV is not 4k but projector is and switching manually every time was a pain. It failed magically after couple of days, I assumed it is manufacturing deffect, but still purchased HDMI surge protector installed in between replacement switch and the projector, replaced the cable to hybrid optical HDMI. This is how projector is connected up to this day. and nothing failed in this "mode".
4) I moved a house and purchased desktop PC which is also connected using 15m hybrid optical HDMI. One day son turned on AVR, then PC and lastly Projector - and again AVR port was blown, this time input port. I moved PC to another port and it seemed to work for some time, not sure of turn-on sequence.
5) some days later HDMI cable from PC to AVR stopped working. Ordered replacement, nothing elese seems was damaged. I could see PC signal on the TV.
6) Today decided to play a game using projector, PC and AVR were on, turned on projector and picture dissapeared from TV and PC monitors!
After investigation, cable is damaged, PC video card is damaged, PC does not boot.

I have tried and drawn schematic of the setup, but cannot see something wrong. Have measured ground potentials etc. Everything is floating (I see 30-40VAC on HDMI shields on AVR relative to mains earth when grounded items are disconnected) except Projector earth is tied to HDMI ground and on PC side HDMI ground is earthed as well. I understand that this relatively smal AC voltage is because of Y capacitors in the AVR receiver. Cable TV has an isolator. Most items are not grounded and use isolated PSU's.

Projector is suspect because 1st 2x times device connected to projector was damaged, now lastly with HDMI surge protector after projector fault has propogated further and found another "ground". is the HID bulb turn-on causing EMI pulse? I am electronics engineer, but am really lost.

At the moment I am left with damaged AVR which is partially working from other sources, 2 optical cables killed, and video card gone and PC unusable. That is over 1k damage!
This is my Christmas "present".

Any advice welcome. Has anyone had issues with this W2700 or other projector?

I would like to understand what can be done to identify why this is happening? Can you give me an expert advice? Maybe projector can be tested in any way?
The damage always seem to have happened on projector turn-on.

Thanks in advance,
Kaspars

Attachments

• av_setup.jpg
    av_setup.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 79
Regarding Point 4 - are you saying you have moved house including the AV system?

Test - simplify the system and disconnect SKY or any other Source which connects to a Dish or Aerial.

Power - try running a temporary power cable to the Projector from the same power socket/ring as the AVR and the rest of your kit.

4K > 4K+2K - the HDFury Vertex2 and Diva are alway our first choice.

Damaged kit - are you planning to have it repaired?

Electrician - any worries about the house electrics and you should consult a qualified electrician.

Joe

Regarding Point 4 - are you saying you have moved house including the AV system?
Yes but issue was in the old house where AVR output port and later HDMI splitter port was damaged.

Test - simplify the system and disconnect SKY or any other Source which connects to a Dish or Aerial.
Power - try running a temporary power cable to the Projector from the same power socket/ring as the AVR and the rest of your kit.
I can do that but the failure is catostrophic port failure, I would like to find a way to test without damaging any more ports?
I will double check all mains wiring for projector and AV and PC and interconnects in between.
There is this switched extension lead I have, which switches on subwoofer together with AVR which could be a suspect, but failure occoured when PJ turn-on.

Has anyone grounded AVR to earth dirrectly or via a Y capacitor for example?

Damaged kit - are you planning to have it repaired?
Yes plan to repair or replace for cables and video-card. For AVR I still have enough inputs and one output working, HDMI board is not cheap for me, would use as it is for now.

It is not like it newer worked, it did and we have used to play games on PJ from PC with the same wiring. Without the PC (which has it's own mains earth) I can use projector and have not faced any issues. Even now after incients it is usable.
Same when AVR output port blew - setup was working but one day when PJ was turned on, and no picture was displayed any more...

Way too many variables to know if the 'old' house wiring, an external event (lightning) or one of your pieces of kit was the cause of the failures.

First decision is to repair what you have or live with the various failed/part failed components - which could risk damaging more items if it is a faulty piece of kit you have.

To test a system/system component you have to try and simplify the system and use as few pieces of kit as possible.

If none of your devices are 'properly' earthed then yes adding a system earth may be a good idea.

Joe

I have Benq W2700 projector which is causing me a headache and unwanted expenses. It seems I have a surge problem on HDMI cable generated by projector when it is turned on. Projector is connected to different mains socket and 15m HDMI hybrid optical cable, when it works I have no complaints - HDR 4K 60fps goes through. 1) In 1st instance AVR receiver secondary output was damaged where projector was connected, I thought it was because of 10m passive HDMI cable. 2) After 1st incident I purchased cheap 2-port HDMI switch and, this seem to survive. I was manually switching over from TV to projector. 3) Next I purchased Blustream HDMI splitter with scalling as myTV is not 4k but projector is and switching manually every time was a pain. It failed magically after couple of days, I assumed it is manufacturing deffect, but still purchased HDMI surge protector installed in between replacement switch and the projector, replaced the cable to hybrid optical HDMI. This is how projector is connected up to this day. and nothing failed in this "mode". 4) I moved a house and purchased desktop PC which is also connected using 15m hybrid optical HDMI. One day son turned on AVR, then PC and lastly Projector - and again AVR port was blown, this time input port. I moved PC to another port and it seemed to work for some time, not sure of turn-on sequence. 5) some days later HDMI cable from PC to AVR stopped working. Ordered replacement, nothing elese seems was damaged. I could see PC signal on the TV. 6) Today decided to play a game using projector, PC and AVR were on, turned on projector and picture dissapeared from TV and PC monitors! After investigation, cable is damaged, PC video card is damaged, PC does not boot. I have tried and drawn schematic of the setup, but cannot see something wrong. Have measured ground potentials etc. Everything is floating (I see 30-40VAC on HDMI shields on AVR relative to mains earth when grounded items are disconnected) except Projector earth is tied to HDMI ground and on PC side HDMI ground is earthed as well. I understand that this relatively smal AC voltage is because of Y capacitors in the AVR receiver. Cable TV has an isolator. Most items are not grounded and use isolated PSU's. Projector is suspect because 1st 2x times device connected to projector was damaged, now lastly with HDMI surge protector after projector fault has propogated further and found another "ground". is the HID bulb turn-on causing EMI pulse? I am electronics engineer, but am really lost. At the moment I am left with damaged AVR which is partially working from other sources, 2 optical cables killed, and video card gone and PC unusable. That is over 1k damage! This is my Christmas "present". Any advice welcome. Has anyone had issues with this W2700 or other projector? I would like to understand what can be done to identify why this is happening? Can you give me an expert advice? Maybe projector can be tested in any way? The damage always seem to have happened on projector turn-on. Thanks in advance, Kaspars
I have Benq W2700 projector which is causing me a headache and unwanted expenses. It seems I have a surge problem on HDMI cable generated by projector when it is turned on. Projector is connected to different mains socket and 15m HDMI hybrid optical cable, when it works I have no complaints - HDR 4K 60fps goes through. 1) In 1st instance AVR receiver secondary output was damaged where projector was connected, I thought it was because of 10m passive HDMI cable. 2) After 1st incident I purchased cheap 2-port HDMI switch and, this seem to survive. I was manually switching over from TV to projector. 3) Next I purchased Blustream HDMI splitter with scalling as myTV is not 4k but projector is and switching manually every time was a pain. It failed magically after couple of days, I assumed it is manufacturing deffect, but still purchased HDMI surge protector installed in between replacement switch and the projector, replaced the cable to hybrid optical HDMI. This is how projector is connected up to this day. and nothing failed in this "mode". 4) I moved a house and purchased desktop PC which is also connected using 15m hybrid optical HDMI. One day son turned on AVR, then PC and lastly Projector - and again AVR port was blown, this time input port. I moved PC to another port and it seemed to work for some time, not sure of turn-on sequence. 5) some days later HDMI cable from PC to AVR stopped working. Ordered replacement, nothing elese seems was damaged. I could see PC signal on the TV. 6) Today decided to play a game using projector, PC and AVR were on, turned on projector and picture dissapeared from TV and PC monitors! After investigation, cable is damaged, PC video card is damaged, PC does not boot. I have tried and drawn schematic of the setup, but cannot see something wrong. Have measured ground potentials etc. Everything is floating (I see 30-40VAC on HDMI shields on AVR relative to mains earth when grounded items are disconnected) except Projector earth is tied to HDMI ground and on PC side HDMI ground is earthed as well. I understand that this relatively smal AC voltage is because of Y capacitors in the AVR receiver. Cable TV has an isolator. Most items are not grounded and use isolated PSU's. Projector is suspect because 1st 2x times device connected to projector was damaged, now lastly with HDMI surge protector after projector fault has propogated further and found another "ground". is the HID bulb turn-on causing EMI pulse? I am electronics engineer, but am really lost. At the moment I am left with damaged AVR which is partially working from other sources, 2 optical cables killed, and video card gone and PC unusable. That is over 1k damage! This is my Christmas "present". Any advice welcome. Has anyone had issues with this W2700 or other projector? I would like to understand what can be done to identify why this is happening? Can you give me an expert advice? Maybe projector can be tested in any way? The damage always seem to have happened on projector turn-on. Thanks in advance, Kaspars

Hey Kasper’s,
Curious if you ever resolved your issue? I also have a benq projector (W1080ST) and have gone thru 4 a/v receivers so far (HDMI output fried on each). They seem to last anywhere from a few months to several years, but end up having the same issue. I have replaced all components in the system other than the projector and HDMI cables (since they are in the ceiling). Anything new you may have found would be appreciated.

I have gone through 2 Blu ray players and 2 av hdmi ports with a 1080st
I now plug hdmi lead in to projector before I turn it on.

Hi,
so far so good. What I did is I have grounded AV receiver and cable TV box.
I made a cable which connects AV receiver chassis and mains earth and mains earth to Cable box antenna connector.

Regards,
Kaspars

Issue is back, a week ago a have blown output on the HDMI scaller again.
Have sent off projector to Benq where thay just connected it to laptop and said Test OK, Great! Scaller was still under warranty and was kindly exchanged. Inline surge protector in between did not help..
Help! Only option I see is to install some sort of isolation - fully optical HDMI extender for example.

Issue is back, a week ago a have blown output on the HDMI scaller again.
Have sent off projector to Benq where thay just connected it to laptop and said Test OK, Great! Scaller was still under warranty and was kindly exchanged. Inline surge protector in between did not help..
Help! Only option I see is to install some sort of isolation - fully optical HDMI extender for example.

I have the same issue!!!

I have lost HDMI output on 3 receivers and HDMI input on my projector one of those 3 times. I’m desperate looking for ideas on how to solve this. My theory is that an incoming voltage on ground (during storms?) at the receiver end is using HDMI as the fastest way to reach ground at the projector outlet and is imparting enough current on the HDMI components that it is frying the boards.

My solution at this point is to punt and fully electrically isolate the receiver from my projector by using a fully fiber-optic cable with fiber-to-HDMI transceivers at the ends.

Have you found any more info on your side?

No, no solution. As you say - fully isolated HDMI maybe. At the moment I keep projector cable unplugged while I turn on AVR and projector itself, then plug it back when everything has booted up.

No, no solution. As you say - fully isolated HDMI maybe. At the moment I keep projector cable unplugged while I turn on AVR and projector itself, then plug it back when everything has booted up.

I bit the bullet and ordered the $270 cable - ouch. I hope it solves this issue once and for all - $270 is cheaper than continuing to replace or repair components.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom