1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Screens - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chrisw, May 3, 2005.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I've just bought my first 'proper' multimedia projector and wondered how much difference a screen will make.

I'm currently projecting onto a magnolia wall - will I notice much difference?

If I do get one it'll have to be one I can put away (rather than mount on the ceiling or hang on a wall). Anyone suggest something and how much I should pay?

2. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an epson tripod screen (5ft width). Takes about a minute to put up/take down and is easily light enough to carry it out the way when not using. It also came with wall mount brackets.

Mine was from Ebay, 75 quid after delivery (or something like that) and a deffinate improvement on the white wall I was using.

Also, there is a seperate screen forum, you should get a better response in there.

3. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    I use an Ikea black out roll down blind which cost me £20 and it works a treat the picture on my sanyo Z3 is awesome.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    The colour of the wall will effect the image to some degree, but it depends on how picky you are. Try and see what you think after you've gotten used to it. A flat white wall with 3 good coats of matt white paint will be similar to a basic plain screen, but if you are projecting an image that is very large, you will need a screen with some gain. A proper screen will look brighter and whiter, though you may find you compensate for the colour innacuracy and whites may look reasonably white.

Try hanging a bed sheet or similar on the wall and project an image onto it. If the improvement is noticable, then you can decide if it's worth looking into getting one.

Gary.

5. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Paint the wall white :)