projector screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stevie79, Jan 10, 2012.

1. stevie79

stevie79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm projecting my 720p Acer onto a magnolia wall and the picture seems to be good for 720p. I've just been reading up that using a projector screen instead of a wall is like night and day, the colours contrasts and overall picture sharpness should be better, now I'm worried that I'm not getting the full potential of my projector? If this is true can I get a 100" projector for under 200gbp .

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
  3. stevie79

stevie79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dive a search on projector screens earlier and couldn't see anything. Thanks for link.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,028
    There won't be a night and day difference unless your wall is rough/textured/covered in wallpaper/coloured other than off white.

If you have a good clean wall painted matt white/light grey you will be getting 80% approx what a screen will give you.

Screens are great if you can afford one but a cheap one will usually suffer from ripples or edge curl within a few months.If you can have a fixed screen this is a much better option as you will not get ripples/curl.You will also have a proper looking screen with a black border which defines the image and helps with improved contrast perception.

You could even make your own from a sheet of mdf painted white or better still light grey if your room is not a bat cave.This is easy to do with very basic diy skills and will take a couple of hours and cost under £50.

This would be the route I would go as opposed to buying a cheap £100-£200 screen.A good quality tab tensioned screen will cost upwards of £800 new or maybe £300-£700 second hand.

5. stevie79

stevie79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My living room is off white matte emultuoned walls very smooth no defects, white ceiling. The room is bright even at night from the projector lamp. I'm thinking maybe I could some how put a black border around the image on the wall without painting or damaging,the wall? Going on what you say I'm sticking with the wall.

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,028
    If you painted the wall a light grey that would help with cutting down some reflected light and also improve the blacks a little.

You can buy sticky backed black velcro (looped side) 50mm wide from Dunelm mill for about £2 per mtr so for £15 approx you could create a nice black border.

Be aware though when peeling off the velcro in the future it may take some of the paint with it.

7. stevie79

stevie79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi thanks for reply I'm currently renting so changing the paint or pealing the paint off is not really an option great idea though. There must be some non damaging adhesive or another way

8. stevie79

stevie79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would get the material if I could find some sort of double sided tape or sticky strips that wouldn't mark or peal the paint off.,if anyone knows of such a thing it would be ideal.