Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Projector..screen..the whole shabang for £1500..but what?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MacReady, Jul 5, 2004.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have finally persauded my other half we should get aprojector for movie watching rather than replace our three year old 40" Tosh rear pro TV.

I will have about £1500 to spend in about a months time but will have to be able to get everything I need with this....projector, screen cables, mounts etc etc.

As far as projectors go I am considering either the Sanyo Z2 or the Epson EMP-TW10. I have not seen the Z2 in action but have seen the TW10...in fact that is how I persauded the Missus we need a projector. We needed a new projector at work so I ordered the TW10 and have brought it home for a bit of 'testing' before it goes into service.

The set up is not ideal as it is projecting onto a large white sheet pinned to the wall and is too close to the wall due to my DVD componant cable being too short..but I am still really impressed with the picture quality!

Our room is quite long and has a large window at either end so there is quite a bit of ambient light.

So, what does everyone recomend? I figure I will need the projector (obviously) a screen (nothing fancy..I am quite willing to get up to pull the screen down manually if that means I can get a better quality screen than a motorised one) plus a long componant cabel...anything else?

I just want to see what everyone would recomend as a good projector and screen combo plus who did componant cables about 10mtrs in length.

Thanks in advance :D

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    One thing I forgot to ask. Is there any way of having a split componant cable from my DVD player that will go to both the rear pro TV and the projector ?..or using a splitter box if possible? I dont fancy taking the cable out of the back of the TV and stringing it around the room when I fancy watching a movie on the projector :(

I am still amazed at the pictures I am getting from the Epson at the moment..

[​IMG]

..and all this from a white bedsheet tacked to the wall and the projector preched on it's box :D

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Might wanna research on the Hitachi TX100, and Epson TW200. The TW10 is a low res version of the TW200, and the Epson TW200 was my favorite LCD until the Hitachi came out!! And with the Hitachi at a price nearer the TW10 than the TW200 it has certainly been a popular number.

See the TX100 threads for links to reviews etc.

To split component ideally you want to spend a few hundred on a decent RGBHV splitter but you may find a cheaper 1 in 2 out VGA splitter will do the job fine (you will need to use component-VGA leads though...)

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thanks for that Liam. I am going to try and have a good read up on a few projectors and will include the TX100 and TW200 in those :)

Can anyone recomend a good screen and where to buy it from please.

5. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for screens = www.drhscreens.co.uk are very well recomended on here mate, i have a slimline and it rocks :D

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thats great...thanks :thumbsup:

7. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Cleric,

That looks like a great image, is that from the standard TW10 or the H version? I'm decided on the TW10 myself I'm just waiting for the right moment to purchase, when I have my screen setup I guess.

Cheers
    Sun

8. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also take a look at the Sony HS20, widely regarded as the best LCD money can buy and a bargain at £1500.

Also try to demo the new Infocus 4805, maybe if you don't suffer from rainbows this would be the a good choice too.

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
  10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    It's the TW10H.

I have it again for the weekend as I have to take it out first thing Monday to be used at one of our offices. I just wish I had a long componant cable and screen so I could actually set it up and watch it in proper relation to the speakers rather than on the side wall:(

Dont suppose anyone fancies lending me a 10m componant cable and a large portable projector screen for the weekend do they ;) :lease: :blush: