1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector..screen..the whole shabang for £1500..but what?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MacReady, Jul 5, 2004.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have finally persauded my other half we should get aprojector for movie watching rather than replace our three year old 40" Tosh rear pro TV.

I will have about £1500 to spend in about a months time but will have to be able to get everything I need with this....projector, screen cables, mounts etc etc.

As far as projectors go I am considering either the Sanyo Z2 or the Epson EMP-TW10. I have not seen the Z2 in action but have seen the TW10...in fact that is how I persauded the Missus we need a projector. We needed a new projector at work so I ordered the TW10 and have brought it home for a bit of 'testing' before it goes into service.

The set up is not ideal as it is projecting onto a large white sheet pinned to the wall and is too close to the wall due to my DVD componant cable being too short..but I am still really impressed with the picture quality!

Our room is quite long and has a large window at either end so there is quite a bit of ambient light.

So, what does everyone recomend? I figure I will need the projector (obviously) a screen (nothing fancy..I am quite willing to get up to pull the screen down manually if that means I can get a better quality screen than a motorised one) plus a long componant cabel...anything else?

I just want to see what everyone would recomend as a good projector and screen combo plus who did componant cables about 10mtrs in length.

Thanks in advance :D

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    One thing I forgot to ask. Is there any way of having a split componant cable from my DVD player that will go to both the rear pro TV and the projector ?..or using a splitter box if possible? I dont fancy taking the cable out of the back of the TV and stringing it around the room when I fancy watching a movie on the projector :(

I am still amazed at the pictures I am getting from the Epson at the moment..

[​IMG]

..and all this from a white bedsheet tacked to the wall and the projector preched on it's box :D

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Might wanna research on the Hitachi TX100, and Epson TW200. The TW10 is a low res version of the TW200, and the Epson TW200 was my favorite LCD until the Hitachi came out!! And with the Hitachi at a price nearer the TW10 than the TW200 it has certainly been a popular number.

See the TX100 threads for links to reviews etc.

To split component ideally you want to spend a few hundred on a decent RGBHV splitter but you may find a cheaper 1 in 2 out VGA splitter will do the job fine (you will need to use component-VGA leads though...)

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks for that Liam. I am going to try and have a good read up on a few projectors and will include the TX100 and TW200 in those :)

Can anyone recomend a good screen and where to buy it from please.

5. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for screens = www.drhscreens.co.uk are very well recomended on here mate, i have a slimline and it rocks :D

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thats great...thanks :thumbsup:

7. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Cleric,

That looks like a great image, is that from the standard TW10 or the H version? I'm decided on the TW10 myself I'm just waiting for the right moment to purchase, when I have my screen setup I guess.

Cheers
    Sun

8. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also take a look at the Sony HS20, widely regarded as the best LCD money can buy and a bargain at £1500.

Also try to demo the new Infocus 4805, maybe if you don't suffer from rainbows this would be the a good choice too.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
  10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It's the TW10H.

I have it again for the weekend as I have to take it out first thing Monday to be used at one of our offices. I just wish I had a long componant cable and screen so I could actually set it up and watch it in proper relation to the speakers rather than on the side wall:(

Dont suppose anyone fancies lending me a 10m componant cable and a large portable projector screen for the weekend do they ;) :lease: :blush: