Projector screen sized 50"-100" - what to get?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by soil, Sep 4, 2007.

1. soil

soil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sister+her boyfriend is wanting a projector to have up in there atic,
    they're wanting it for DVDs SKY and Wii (probably PS2 as well)

thing is they only want to spend £500 or so on one...

well iv been looking for them and noticed they have very little input ports.

like 2x s-video and 1xVGA which isnt enough for what they want.

also they're wanting a home cinema set of speakers to go with it...

well i found a few for her and got a few prices and told her what ports can be used for what on a few of the projectors and also a list of shops she can go to to have a look at them instore.

well i personaly think they should just get a 50" TV and mount it on the wall.
    this way no connection problems and no messing around with sound on the home cinema when switching with the projector and so on.
    also told her she can just connect up a home cinema kit in the future to the TV if she decided to get 1.

well she told me she doesnt want to get a TV that size cos they cost to much she said £1,500-£2,000 but i found a 50" for £1,000 probably get 1 for around £800 if pushed it just saw a 42" for £600 was an LG as well so not like its a unknown name. she wants to get a projector cos she can then claim the VAT back cos she can say its for presentating **** for work... dont see y she cant do that with a 50" TV... :rolleyes:

well what do u guys think about it?

also hwo far back does the projector have to be to be the size of 100"?
    come to think of it 1s we have at college arent to far back and they manage to cover alot of area.

id probably also have to put them in a shelf or something to sit the projector on :(

2. andrewb150

andrewb150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Projector throw distances vary alot check out the projector calculator on projectorcentral.com.

Your looking at, 10 feet+ from the lense to the screen for a 100" wide 16:9 image.

Dont forget you can also sit too close to the screen, for 100" you should proberly sit about 11 feet away anyway.

3. andrewb150

andrewb150

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I should think normally people would use some sort of external switch box to get more inputs, although newer projectors can come with 2 HDMI & 2 Component inputs.

£500 on a projector & Surround Sound! Proberly best of going for a BenQ W100, a Cheap £100 or so AV Amp (check out richer sounds) and a cheap speaker package.

The AV amp would solve your input problem (through composite inputs anyway). If you wanted RGB signals then you would need a scart switch box and use the VGA - RGB Scart adapter that I believe comes with the W100.

Possibly the WII & DVD could connect to component inputs which could also be connected to one input through the same AV Switch as the RGB Scarts. EG Joytech AV control Centre.