Projector Screen Recommendation - Living Room

priasda

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been following the forum for lot of useful information for quite sometime. However this is my first post.
I'm planning to ceiling mount a projector screen in the living room in my apartment.
Will really appreciate if you can advise or provide any recommendations regarding screen and installation.

Screen - Living Room is very well lit with open plan kitchen.Currently I just project on the white wall at night. Will grey screen make a huge difference (although very hard to find one)? Had a look at the vividstorm floor rising ALR screen, but it turned out too expensive for me
So far I have shortlisted Sapphire electric 122" in Richer Sounds. Any other recommendations or store from where I can purchase screen in UK. Please note currently using FHD Optoma projector(mounted on a tripod)but might invest in a 4k projector in future.

Installation - Ceiling recessed model will look good but probably will be a complicated to install. So I have settled for ceiling mount, wall mount is not an option as it's not a straight wall.The joists appear to be quite far from the dry ceiling. Can you please recommend any installer in London(SE postcode), I'm not comfortable with my DIY skills.

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_144122.jpg
    IMG_20210313_144122.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 108
I would be tempted to paint the whole wall with Dulux grey steel 3 Matt or even the darker grey steel 2 and that will be better than a white screen in your room, cost you the price of a can of paint.

An ALR screen would be better but like you say they are not cheap.

1620315197493.png

1620315219103.png

I would be tempted to paint the whole wall with Dulux grey steel 3 Matt or even the darker grey steel 2 and that will be better than a white screen in your room, cost you the price of a can of paint.

An ALR screen would be better but like you say they are not cheap.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's not a 180° straight wall, besides I'll have a TV mounted on this wall.

That's a shame, looks like you will have to get a drop down screen then. Grey would be best but as you say they tend to be rare to find these days, at least ones that are good quality at reasonable prices.

Any reference on professional screen installer please(London, SE area)? Got a quote of £210 from someone recommended by the store from where I'm planning to purchase. Do you consider this as standard?
Planning to just mount the electric screen(~120") in the ceiling(not ceiling recessed)

Seems reasonable if it's an electric screen and need some wiring sorted especially if you are in London area.

im looking for a good home projector! more any recommendation? Pls....
thanks

I need some info to recommend a projector.
1.Budget and is the projector for casual use or are you wanting top level performance
2.What do you want to use it for, films tv sport or other use
3. What size room do you have and how close to screen will you sit and how big a screen do you want
4. What sort of room will you be using the projector in, a lounge or a dedicated room
5.Will the room have total light control (will your room be totally dark with any blinds/curtains closed)
6.Will you be using the projector with a dedicated sound system
This information is needed so we can suggest a suitable projector :)

Hi Kbfern,
so some Info:

1. I can't estimate budget. but I would prefer a new Projector.
2. most for films
3. i will sit it in a bedroom. We have a whole wall free.
4. We have windows but it will be have total light control.
thank you already in advance.

I see you are in Germany so not sure what is available in your market. Projectors can start from around 500/600 euro but these are entry level projectors.

I guess if you are using in a bedroom (how big a bedroom) and depending how close you will sit from the screen you probably will only be able to project an image 3mtrs wide maximum.

Most projectors don't have speakers built in but a few do but the speakers have low power generally around 10 watts which is not much good for movie viewing. Therefore what will you do for the audio side of things. At least get a soundbar with subwoofer but better is a proper 5.1 audio system but this maybe more than you want if using in a bedroom with a bed and other stuff in there.The cost of a soundbar might be 300-500 euro or a 5.1 sound system including an a/v receiver 5 speakers and a subwoofer will be bare minimum 1000 euro but something really good would be 2000+ euro.

I guess you should be looking to spend around 600-1000 euro to get a decent projector and even these are only budget models. For anyone wanting a better quality image you would need to spend 1200-2500 euro. Look at projectors from Optoma BenQ and Epson.

Hi Kbfern,
so some Info:

1. I can't estimate budget. but I would prefer a new Projector.
2. most for films
3. i will sit it in a bedroom. We have a whole wall free.
4. We have windows but it will be have total light control.
thank you already in advance.

Buy total light control, will walls and ceiling be black? you need to account for reflected light which diminished picture quickly.

I doubt this would be allowed for in the budget, a screen like that will be £1500+ on it's own.

The fact the OP stated they can't estimate a budget suggest they won't be spending mega bucks.

I doubt this would be allowed for in the budget, a screen like that will be £1500+ on it's own.

The fact the OP stated they can't estimate a budget suggest they won't be spending mega bucks.

Theres 3 for sale (one mine) on classifields atm for the first time ever so if willing to second hand, can get a bargain. First time I've ever seen 3 drapers on the classifields, they all came the same time.

I wish they were available a year ago when I was in the market for one. The draper tech vision still intrigues me tbh...

The OP is from Germany so doubt they would want to risk it being shipped from here.

Hey there, sorry to interrupt but just o the subject of screens vs paint for projectors, I have a flat wall and am looking for a cheap solution after spending all of my budget on a decent 4K projector (probably an Epson TW9400).

Just how bad is the right paint on the wall vs a proper screen and would it be an overkill (the projector vs paint on the wall). Also, I understand we want dark matt paint does it have to be grey? Would dark green be ok? Have some politics with the Misses... :)

Room is square, sitting position about 5m from the wall, some moderate light that I can control, aiming to get about 120" image. Mainly for movies (Netflix etc) and gaming (PS5) thanks!

Thank you!

Hey there, sorry to interrupt but just o the subject of screens vs paint for projectors, I have a flat wall and am looking for a cheap solution after spending all of my budget on a decent 4K projector (probably an Epson TW9400).

Just how bad is the right paint on the wall vs a proper screen and would it be an overkill (the projector vs paint on the wall). Also, I understand we want dark matt paint does it have to be grey? Would dark green be ok? Have some politics with the Misses... :)

Room is square, sitting position about 5m from the wall, some moderate light that I can control, aiming to get about 120" image. Mainly for movies (Netflix etc) and gaming (PS5) thanks!

Thank you!

I've gone through the following:

1. Normal White screne
2. Draper React 3.0 ALR screen
3. Projector paint (Greysteel 2).

I prefer the Greysteel 2 for a couple of reasons. It enhances the black floor, it has the best uniformity, it has absolutely zero hot spotting and the viewing angles are perfect. However, this is in a treated room, with dark grey ceiling, grey walls and soon to be installed MVEL22 curtains; and it'll have a black feature wall. If the room was NOT treated, the Greysteel 2 paint would not stand a chance against the ALR screen. The other advantage of paint is you can make a MASSIVE screen and its cheap as chips.

The white screen, I found most disappointing with an Epson. Epson needs some help with an enhanced black floor which darker colours give.

ALR screen wise, if your room isn't blacked out (by this, I mean black walls, ceilings), an ALR screen will give you the best improvement to perceived contrast from ANY upgrade you can do. Its negatives are hot spotting and viewing angles. Its positives are you can CLEARLY watch your projector during the day light, it enhances the black floor, it rejects a fair chunk of ambient light and in the pitch black, it further increases the PQ by rejecting bouncing around light; like a floating plasma., A big con is if you're buying them new, they're very very expensive.

By the sounds of your room, and with the mention of 'moderate light', an ALR screen is going to give you by far the best results. There is a 105'' available on the forum.

I see you are in Germany so not sure what is available in your market. Projectors can start from around 500/600 euro but these are entry level projectors.

I guess if you are using in a bedroom (how big a bedroom) and depending how close you will sit from the screen you probably will only be able to project an image 3mtrs wide maximum.

Most projectors don't have speakers built in but a few do but the speakers have low power generally around 10 watts which is not much good for movie viewing. Therefore what will you do for the audio side of things. At least get a soundbar with subwoofer but better is a proper 5.1 audio system but this maybe more than you want if using in a bedroom with a bed and other stuff in there.The cost of a soundbar might be 300-500 euro or a 5.1 sound system including an a/v receiver 5 speakers and a subwoofer will be bare minimum 1000 euro but something really good would be 2000+ euro.

I guess you should be looking to spend around 600-1000 euro to get a decent projector and even these are only budget models. For anyone wanting a better quality image you would need to spend 1200-2500 euro. Look at projectors from Optoma BenQ and Epson.
oooh you're great. thanks for the great detailed information. i'm now very well informed about the projector, so will look around here.
Thanks thanks

Buy total light control, will walls and ceiling be black? you need to account for reflected light which diminished picture quickly.
Hi. I will also inform myself about this when I look around the projector. thanks thanks.

I've gone through the following:

1. Normal White screne
2. Draper React 3.0 ALR screen
3. Projector paint (Greysteel 2).

I prefer the Greysteel 2 for a couple of reasons. It enhances the black floor, it has the best uniformity, it has absolutely zero hot spotting and the viewing angles are perfect. However, this is in a treated room, with dark grey ceiling, grey walls and soon to be installed MVEL22 curtains; and it'll have a black feature wall. If the room was NOT treated, the Greysteel 2 paint would not stand a chance against the ALR screen. The other advantage of paint is you can make a MASSIVE screen and its cheap as chips.

The white screen, I found most disappointing with an Epson. Epson needs some help with an enhanced black floor which darker colours give.

ALR screen wise, if your room isn't blacked out (by this, I mean black walls, ceilings), an ALR screen will give you the best improvement to perceived contrast from ANY upgrade you can do. Its negatives are hot spotting and viewing angles. Its positives are you can CLEARLY watch your projector during the day light, it enhances the black floor, it rejects a fair chunk of ambient light and in the pitch black, it further increases the PQ by rejecting bouncing around light; like a floating plasma., A big con is if you're buying them new, they're very very expensive.

By the sounds of your room, and with the mention of 'moderate light', an ALR screen is going to give you by far the best results. There is a 105'' available on the forum.
it sounds good. I will look up these here. Thank you for sharing your experience in such detail.
thanks thanks

it sounds good. I will look up these here. Thank you for sharing your experience in such detail.
thanks thanks
If you can do a fixed frame screen then you should consider building a wood frame and covering it with ALR material, price would be significantly cheaper than buying a branded screen.

Here’s a video comparing ALR vs Grey vs White.

carl’s place screens are a well known brand of screen material in the States

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom