Question Projector screen placement in my upcoming cinema garage conversion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Daniel Katz, May 26, 2017.

1. Daniel Katz

Daniel Katz
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I'm about to convert my garage and I have a short throw projector - Benq 1085 ST - here is a link to the projector central throw calculator:BenQ HT1085ST Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

You can see from attached floor plan that my garage is narrow at 2.69 m and I like my screens larger so I am toying with the idea of putting the screen on the wall opposite the door which is 4.52 metres. A throw from 8.5 feet will give me up to 171 inches image diagonal at maximum zoom and 141 inches at zero zoom though seating would be only 8.5 feet from screen and maybe only 5 feet of walking space between seats and screen.

Projecting onto the 2.69 wall will of course give me a much smaller diagonal image though the seating would be more practical.

Is my larger image diagonal practical? Sorry for the flitting between metres and feet!

Attached Files:

2. xar

xar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,000
    Just get the projector in the room and see what you think. Personally I would think the 'wide' option would be far too close (but I prefer to sit further back regardless). You also need to think about speaker placement. If they are behind an AT screen then it should be fine (unless they are not in / on walls and you plan to bring the screen out in which case it will defo be too close). If they are floorstanders they will need to go either side of the screen or the image will hit the top of them, unless you put the screen quite high. I know this because my first setup was similar to your wide option and it just didn't work for me.