Question Projector screen gain

shroud

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just took it for granted that we will buy a projector screen with Gain 1 or close.

But I have recently noticed that some brands here offer (for basically the same price) a version of the same screen with a more reflecting surface, resulting in Gain 2.5.

What are the pros and cons of such high gain, and in which case should someone buy a high-gain screen?

(Note that we haven't chosen a projector yet, we're still in the planning phase... so we're not bound to a specific projector technology)

Thanks!

I just took it for granted that we will buy a projector screen with Gain 1 or close.

But I have recently noticed that some brands here offer (for basically the same price) a version of the same screen with a more reflecting surface, resulting in Gain 2.5.

What are the pros and cons of such high gain, and in which case should someone buy a high-gain screen?

(Note that we haven't chosen a projector yet, we're still in the planning phase... so we're not bound to a specific projector technology)

Thanks!

They are good for 3D I'm told but chances are with most reflective high gain screens is seeing sparklies or shimmering.

Most high gain screens are usually glass beaded which can give the image a visible texture. They're also retro reflective which mens the light is reflected back to where it comes from, so you have to sit with your head close to the projected image beam to benefit from the most from the higher gain, and also within a small viewing cone, otherwise the image brightness drops off.

The advantage is less light is reflected to the walls and ceilings so less gets back onto the screen if you're in a light coloured or reflective room, so it helps preserve more of the intra image contrast compared to a screen with unity gain.

I believe the DaLite Hi Power screen didn't have a visible texture like many do, but ideally you need to see it for yourself.

You only need high gain if the image size you are projecting onto is larger than the lumen output of the projector can illuminate satisfactorily, so the image would otherwise be too dim - it allows you to have a larger screen than with a unity gain screen for example, and as Panman said, it can help make 3D movies brighter.

These days with projectors being a lot brighter than years ago, there is less need for high gain screens, especially in typical UK size residences.

Ok... it sounds like we should target the usual Gain 1 then. We do have a light-colored room, but the screen will be between 108" and 135" (although we also leave an option open for 150" although unlikely) and the viewing distance is between 3.5m and 4m (meaning we need a rather short-throw projector with throw ratio around 1.1-1.2), so some of the people will watch the screen from a non-centered position. Maybe this means we should give precedence to a larger viewing cone rather than contrast. We're not planning to watch 3D movies by the way.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom