1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projector Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DangerMouse!, Oct 8, 2005.

1. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I am renting I can't attach a screen to a wall or ceiling
    A tripod would be mean the screen would be too close
    The wall is off-white but has a light fitting sticking out 4cm's in the middle
    The screen needs to be hidden when not in use

I would need a portable screen that could sit on top of the TV Bench http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=10101&storeId=7&langId=-20&productId=11149
    Width: 150 cm,Depth: 50 cm, Height: 40 cm

or a frame that would collapse behind the bench when not in use that I could hang a manual pulldown off

Anyone got any ideas or is my projector dream just a dream :(

Thanks in advance

2. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you allowed any wall fixings? if so you could have a small shelf at the bottom edge of where the screen should go then you can make yourself a fixed size screen (tons of instructions on these forums) and when you watch a film just pull the screen out from behind your wardrobe or under your bed (maybe wrap it in a sheet to stop dirt/marks) and rest it on the shelf.

its not ideal granted but its a start.

3. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I read on these forums about someone who had used a retail clothes rack to have a portable fixed screen. You could also hang a picture on the reverse side so that when it wasn't a screen it was a big picture.

Attached Files:

4. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ciqala,
    I like the shelf idea but I can't drill any holes in the house, but maybe when I buy in a couple of years I'll will try it out.
    Fortean,
    Good idea but I haven't got anywhere to store it when not in use. But again maybe in the future that idea will come in handy.

Thanks again some great idea's but so far but none of them will work for me at the present time

Anyone else?

5. dupontin

dupontin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a U shaped frame which hinges on the left and right corners, enabling it to fold down
    out of sight.
    Thinking that when you want to use it unfold fold the left and right verticals. The screen could be housed inside the base and simply pulled up and hung on the top of the verticals.

For the screen to roll correctly you would need a spring loaded base. so it's worth checking if the screen tensioning units will work upside down . (pull up instead of pull down)
    Most pull down screens come in a housing already. so you would just need to make the rest.
    You could hide it behind a sofa
    Cheers
    Mike

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    There was someone on the forums recently selling a portable freestanding screeen that collapsed into it's own casing. I think it was a Draper Traveller or something like that. Costs a little more than a normal screen, but if you can get one at the right price it might just do the trick.

7. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
  8. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3