Projector screen buying advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pnmassey, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pnmassey

pnmassey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to the forum and to the world of home cinema in fact! I've just bought a projector (JVC DLA-HD350 rated at 1000 lumens) and wanted some advice on suitable screens. The room won't be a dedicated home cinema room, it will have light/white walls/ceiling/floor and lots of glass so is not ideal! ...but I can improve things with limited measures such as blackout curtains, rug, some black velvet on the ceiling etc. The projector throw will be approx. 3.5-4m and I am limited to a screen of about 84 inches (case length of 2.1m max) because of ceiling beams - that is unless I decide to go with a pull up or removable screen that hangs lower. A Panoview DS-9084PMG+ seems to be a good fit dimensions wise at least (186cm x 104.5 viewing area, 207.5 case). Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks! Paul

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
  3. pnmassey

pnmassey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I thought it was a bit odd that I couldn't find a dedicated screens forum - I didn't think to look under electronics! I'll close this thread and open a new one.

4. rhubarb4

rhubarb4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Hi and welcome I'm also new to the site, did you have any luck with a screen as I'm currently looking too.

Thanks Chris.

5. pnmassey

pnmassey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris, I did some research on the forum and decided to order a Beamax R Series screen which is coming tomorrow :). From what I've read they are pretty well regarded and are better made than other similarly priced budget screens (e.g. Optoma, Sapphire). I was initially tempted to go the DIY route and make my own screen with an 8x4 sheet of MDF and the Black Widow UK paint mix discussed in detail on this forum. I suspect that this might actually achieve the best results in terms of picture quality in some ambient light for a fraction of the cost of an equivalent screen. However I decided that I really do need the convenience of a roll up screen. I'll let you know how I get on with the Beamax!

6. rhubarb4

rhubarb4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,286
    Yeah I am in the same boat I have to have a retractable one, I've just had a look at that screen and it looks quite impressive. There are that many screens around it gets confusing on which one to get as there are so many different views from people. I hear great reviews about one screen, then I read another post and someone has put a negative comment and suggested there own screen and many people have agreed so im back to square 1 lol. I'm not getting it till March so I have time to research. It would be great to hear what your screen is like so I will keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks, Chris.

7. pnmassey

pnmassey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, I've had some time using the screen now and I have to say that I'm pretty happy. The matte white screen gives a slight improvement in picture quality over my off-white wall. The build and material quality seem pretty good but bear in mind that I really don't have anything to compare it against. There is a slight knack to setting the screen at the right height (pull it down and then let it rise back up very slowly until it stops) - I had to work this out for myself as there were no instructions. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Paul