Projector & Screen advice (To upgrade or not)

ChizzlerCB

Novice Member
Hey guys,

I purchased the Epson Home Cinema 2040 quite a few years ago, and use it every single night as our basement/man cave projector. I mainly use it for PS4 gaming, but I would far from say I am a serious gamer as I only play a few games (NHL, Need for Speed, no FPS) but I do play NHL online frequently. The 2040 bosts a 25ms input lag. Other then that, I use Netflix on the PS4, and watch the occasional movie. Would say 50% gaming 50% movies/Netflix and watching Hockey (Can't wait for them to get back on the ice).

Couple years ago I upgraded to a PS4 Pro, 7.2 Sony 4K receiver and a BenQ HT2550 to leap into the 4K world. Unfortunately the HT2550 did not work for me as the throw did not provide a large enough screen for what I wanted. I returned the HT2550 and kept everything else. When I opened this room up, I removed a large portion of the load baring wall and installed a beam to open it up and be able to build the ultimate home theater. My current Projector sits at 11 FT from the wall which places it at its farthest possible location without going under or past the beam and being in the way. So basically I need something with a similar throw so that I don't lose much if any screen size.

Unfortunately after 2 years I just made the same mistake, and bought another 4K projector that I thought would work with a slightly smaller screen size, however the projector is HUGE and what I did not calculate was that the front of the project would be a FT closer as it is so large. This projector is the Epson Home Cinema 4010, and although the image is amazing, I will be returning it.

So I started researching more like I should of in the first place and I'm considering the BenQ TK850, which hits all the check marks with screen size and that, but my biggest concern is the approx 83ms input lag in regards to gaming. So im on the fence, is it worth the leap to 4k vs the loss in input lag, or should I stick to what I have and continue to wait it out. My max budget is 2500 CA, so probably 1800 US and the TK850 is well under that budget. You guys know alot more about projectors, what may be coming and so on. Any advice or recommendations on this would be extremely helpful and I will be very greatful for.

Also when I eventually get my next projector, I would like to do a DIY screen. Right now its just a white square painted with the proper paint, which suits my needs, but I would like to create a border, like a black edge boarder and maybe build outwords to allow backlighting with LED light strips around the edge. Maybe getting myself in over my head here lol but if anyone has done something similar, I would love to see it!

Thanks Everyone in advance!!!!

Attachments

• 20200609_160058.jpg
    20200609_160058.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200609_160147.jpg
    20200609_160147.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180304_2004118.jpg
    IMG_20180304_2004118.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20180304_2004296.jpg
    IMG_20180304_2004296.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20180304_2004567.jpg
    IMG_20180304_2004567.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

noob0101

@ChizzlerCB what is seating distance?

Screen diagonal?

What is the distance from beam to the wall with the screen?

Can the projector be placed closer to the screen?

ChizzlerCB

Novice Member
@noob0101 Seating distance is 21 FT

Current screen diagonal is 121", could sacrafice roughly 10" at the most.

Beam to wall is exactly 12 FT

Projector can definitely be placed closer to the screen/wall.

noob0101

@noob0101 Seating distance is 21 FT

Current screen diagonal is 121", could sacrafice roughly 10" at the most.

Beam to wall is exactly 12 FT

Projector can definitely be placed closer to the screen/wall.

But are you happy with the screen size? I mean from 21' distance an 121" is kind of small.

ChizzlerCB

Novice Member
@noob0101 I am... I would go larger if it wasn't for a window and outlet in the way lol However with this HC2040 I did place it as far back to the beam as I could go to get upto the 121" I have which has been working great for us.

noob0101

@noob0101 I am... I would go larger if it wasn't for a window and outlet in the way lol However with this HC2040 I did place it as far back to the beam as I could go to get upto the 121" I have which has been working great for us.

What about a drop down screen?

But can't you use the 4010 behind the beam (closer to the seating position)?

Do you want to place the projector after the beam in the screen part of the room?

LE:
If you want a projector to replace the 2040 you need to measure the height of the center of the lens and the height of the top of the visible part of the screen.

Last edited:

ChizzlerCB

Novice Member
Drop screen could definitely work.

I could use the 4010 behind the beam but then it would be lower then the beam and in head hitting territory. Also behind the beam is a higher traffic area, next to the stairs and bathroom so would be blocking the image whenever we get up and much more likely for the little ones to look towards the lens when playing downstairs. Due to that, ill def want to keep it on the screen side of the beam where it currently is. I like the size of the TK850 and would work perfect as its a similar size and even better throw then my current projector, has 4k etc, if it wasn't for the input lag I would be completely sold on it.

Thanks for the tip too! @noob0101

noob0101

Drop screen could definitely work.

I could use the 4010 behind the beam but then it would be lower then the beam and in head hitting territory. Also behind the beam is a higher traffic area, next to the stairs and bathroom so would be blocking the image whenever we get up and much more likely for the little ones to look towards the lens when playing downstairs. Due to that, ill def want to keep it on the screen side of the beam where it currently is. I like the size of the TK850 and would work perfect as its a similar size and even better throw then my current projector, has 4k etc, if it wasn't for the input lag I would be completely sold on it.

Thanks for the tip too! @noob0101

With the current seating position the 4K will not be noticeable.

Another aspect of HDR is WCG, but there is no projector with proper WCG coverage that would fit your setup. Maybe some USTs, but those are really expensive.

HDR is mastered differently than SDR and can look different, but now necessarily better.

Also the higher bitrate, but since you can't see the 4K resolution it does not make any sense.

So you probably would not see any difference, or at least I would not spend the money to upgrade in that setup.

A DLP like a Benq HT2050A with 16ms lag will have better motion handling, but will be ~25% less bright.

What is required a throw ratio of ~1.25x.

What is different in the 4010 picture from the 2040, what material did you test?

ChizzlerCB

Novice Member
Thanks @noob0101 !! This is very helpful info you are providing.

As for the 4010 picture, there is definitely a noticeable difference. I've had to move the 4010 back 2 feet past the beam which just wont work for my space but for testing it provides a smaller but big enough screen size to use. I have been gaming in 4k and it does look great. Some people may say they don't notice much of a difference but I definitely do. I know when I switch back to my 2040 I'll notice the downgrade. That being said its far from a major upgrade. I find the image sharper and brighter, colors may be better too but hard to say without doing a side by side.

If it works for your space then the 4010 is a great option, I love Epson projectors... and the 2040 has served me well. Wish the 4010 worked for my space but that projector is just to huge and not a great enough throw for my space :(

noob0101

Thanks @noob0101 !! This is very helpful info you are providing.

As for the 4010 picture, there is definitely a noticeable difference. I've had to move the 4010 back 2 feet past the beam which just wont work for my space but for testing it provides a smaller but big enough screen size to use. I have been gaming in 4k and it does look great. Some people may say they don't notice much of a difference but I definitely do. I know when I switch back to my 2040 I'll notice the downgrade. That being said its far from a major upgrade. I find the image sharper and brighter, colors may be better too but hard to say without doing a side by side.

If it works for your space then the 4010 is a great option, I love Epson projectors... and the 2040 has served me well. Wish the 4010 worked for my space but that projector is just to huge and not a great enough throw for my space :(

The 4010 should not be brighter than the 2040, they should be equally bright with a new lamp. Does the 2040 have a lot of hours?

As for the sharpness I don't think it should be noticeable from that distance. Epson does not even use full 4K, it's 1080px2, whereas 4K is 1080px4.

So I'm skeptical of what exactly you saw. Contrast can increase perceived sharpness.

You can try the Epson HC3800, but you'll loose a few inches.

Another option is the Optoma UHD50 or 30, but it has worse black floor, not as bright, and color out of the box are not great. It's a DLP so it will look better at sports.

Or a 1080p that can accept a 4K signal like the HZ39HDR / HD39HDR, GT1090HDR/ GT1080HDR.

The HZ and GT1090 are laser and brighter, all of them are DLP, not great colors and poor contrast.

Make sure to use the calculators since these DLP projectors have very limited lens shift and might not fit with our screen.

ChizzlerCB

Novice Member
Ok thanks big time @noob0101 .... my bulb on the 2040 is at 4850 hours, and never even thought about the life of it affecting the brightness etc. At only 100 bucks for a new bulb, I will def be replacing it soon rather then waiting til it stops working.

Looks like I got some models to look over here, I will definitely check all these out! Thanks so much for the help. Ill keep you posted if I end up going with one of these. It's amazing how many models of projectors are out there and how much there is to learn spec wise. Definitely isn't the same as going out and buying a new TV lol

ChizzlerCB

Novice Member
After reviewing these projectors, I am leaning towards getting the BenQ HT685. The HC 3800 is not available here in Canada. My thoughts is it will be an upgrade for me as I mostly game and watch sports on it, and the HT685 has amazing refresh rate and input lag. Thinking I should go with this projector and wait until prices become affordable for a true 4K projector in a few years time. Thanks again for all your help!

noob0101

After reviewing these projectors, I am leaning towards getting the BenQ HT685. The HC 3800 is not available here in Canada. My thoughts is it will be an upgrade for me as I mostly game and watch sports on it, and the HT685 has amazing refresh rate and input lag. Thinking I should go with this projector and wait until prices become affordable for a true 4K projector in a few years time. Thanks again for all your help!

The HC3800 should be available.

Anyway use these calculators since the the Benq might not be direct swap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom